Cracked My Seagull

seagullplayer77

• Members

Well, I wasn't the one that cracked it, but . . .

With my knee the way it is, I brought a barstool to use on stage for our worship service this morning. And since my customary church guitar (my Ovation) slides around on my lap a little too much for comfort, I brought my $90 Seagull instead.

Everything went great until I limped off stage and left my buddy to move my stuff out of the way. He usually takes good care of my gear and I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but he grabbed the barstool, wheeled around, and gave my Seagull a solid whack with one of the legs of the stool :eek:.

I surveyed the damage after the fact, and there's a sizable dent from the impact---and another crack running parallel to the one that was there when I bought it. Maybe an inch and a half long, the new one is. At least it happened to my beater :idk:.

Still doesn't take the hurt away, though. I've come to really like that guitar, even thought it was cheap and an impulse buy. Oh well.

Anyway, the fact that it cracked has me concerned. I had expected the dent---cedar is soft, ya know---but the crack was a surprise to me. Perhaps the guitar needs to be humidified? I don't humidify any of my other guitars and they've never cracked. Then again, I don't go whacking my other guitars with barstools either :facepalm:.

Any opinions?

• Members

Hi Chris
Sorry to hear about your guitar getting damaged, that is bummer. I find it very risking that you don't humidify your guitars and you live in the Windy City? I live in CT. and it is a must. I have learned the hard way by getting a cracked top on one of my guitars and I was humidifying my guitars at the time too, I just wasn't watching close enough, I would just use a damp it and check it once a week, well.... lets just say my heart sank when I found the crack, now I use a warm mist humidifier for the room and I use sponges in plastic bags with hole's cut in them in the case's, I keep the guitars and my room between 45% to 55% humidity and they will play great all year long

• Members

I think i would agree with Oldschool. Probably the area is weak.
Though humidity is something I watch here in Dallas. I have a hygrometer I bought at Radio Shack and it works great. I use a Sears humidifier in the winter that keeps the whole house around 40%RH (any more than 40 and the windows really start to puddle from condensation). Durring the summer the humidity is perfect, between 40 and 50.

Don't beat yourself (or your friend) up too hard, after all you were handicapped :) And that's why we have beeters and travel guitars. Though I'm guessing I would feel just like you do!

• Members

Sorry to hear that. On a side note for your ovation that "moves" around too much..... I put a small 8 inch strip of black anti skid tape on the bottom of mine ( where it would rest on your thigh and not be seen ) and that solved my problem of having the guitar "slide out" while I play in the seated position. Hope this helps

• Members

One thing I've found is that if you buy another one, they all feel pretty close to the one you had before. I would bet that in a month, you would not know or feel the difference. And since it was only $90.00.......By the way, where did you get a deal like that? I paid $125.00 for my S & P. Someone owes me $35.00!

• Members

Sorry to hear about that Chris

But i agree also with OldSchool sais

the fact that it's running parallel to the original crack is pointing
towards a weakened area
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But hey you still have yer others and in time can find another

So dont despair and keep :)ing..:wave:

• Members

Hey, sorry to hear that too, always nasty when this sort of stuff happens...even on a 'cheap' guitar, some guitars just seem to punch above thier weightclass...

Since we're on the subject of humidifying, what is involved exactly,....now that I've got a Lakewood I should probably pay a bit more attention...

• Members

If it closes up with humdification, look into a cloth patch. An alternative to a standard cleat, a cloth patch, linen saturated with carpenter's glue, is light and can cover a bit more area. Might help with that area if it's got a prob with the grain being brittle or a past injury making it unstable.

• Members
One thing I've found is that if you buy another one, they all feel pretty close to the one you had before. I would bet that in a month, you would not know or feel the difference.
And since it was only $90.00.......By the way, where did you get a deal like that? I paid $125.00 for my S & P. Someone owes me $35.00!

Got it on Craig's List :D.

But it was priced fairly. It was in pretty sad shape. Lots of dents and scratches, a ton of wear around the sound hole, and the battery for the preamp was taped in. And there's a pretty sizable crack. But hey---for $90, it was a good deal :thu:.

Archived