OT-ish: Blues Harp(s) - Suggestions?

seagullplayer77

• Members

I've tinkered with the idea of picking up a harmonica or two, just to mess around with. Maybe one in the key of G and another in D. Those are probably the keys I use the most.

Any suggestions on what would be worth buying? I don't want to spend a ton of money because I'm not sure how much I'll use them. I've got grand visions of using them a lot, but visions like that usually don't materialize in my case :facepalm:.

For those folks out there that can play the harp, how easy is it to learn? Is it something that comes naturally? How easy is it to play guitar and harmonica at the same time?

• Members

I've tinkered with the idea of picking up a harmonica or two, just to mess around with. Maybe one in the key of G and another in D. Those are probably the keys I use the most.

Any suggestions on what would be worth buying? I don't want to spend a ton of money because I'm not sure how much I'll use them. I've got grand visions of using them a lot, but visions like that usually don't materialize in my case
:facepalm:

For those folks out there that can play the harp, how easy is it to learn? Is it something that comes naturally? How easy is it to play guitar and harmonica at the same time?

I started with harmonica but fell totally into guitar so I've set them aside for now. These were the most highly recommended as the best beginner value. They have a plastic comb, they have a similar model with a wooden comb for the same price if you prefer that.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/hohner-special-20-harmonica--HO560.htm

• Members

I assume you're talking about the common everyday 10 hole diatonic type harmonica.

Seagull, harps, like anything else, come in prices all over the place, but unlike guitars I don't think there are any bargains when it comes to buying harps. You pretty much get what you pay for.

They're pretty easy to play. I've been playing them since I was about five years old, so I don't think you'd have a problem there. As far as playing the harp and guitar at the same time, I can do it, but I'm no Bruce Springsteen or Neil Young. It just takes practice....same as anything else.

Terry Allen Hall always talks about the Hohner Big River harps. MF has 'em for about $22 apiece and that's about as cheap as you're gonna find a decent playing and sounding harp. I've seen individual harps as low as $5, but you wouldn't be happy with one, trust me. They're toys..that's all.

I've seen 5 piece sets of the Hohner Piedmont Blues harps for $20 with a case and, quite frankly I don't think they're worth dragging home unless you just want a decent case. Keep the case and give the harps to your younger cousin to play with.

I've got one old Hohner Lancer "G" harp that's my mainstay. Bought it when I was in the Army back in the mid 60's. From what I can determine, the Lancer was the same as the Marine Band harp but with the Blues Harp side covers on it. Who knows....it's a good one. They quit making them sometime around 1980 I think. It was made in Ireland, BTW; not Germany.

I've also got a 7-piece set of Chinese made harps in a fitted case that a friend gave to me as a gift for some work I helped him with at his home. He bought them at www.heartland.com for about $30 I believe. They're not really all that bad, but not something I'd buy with my own money.

So, bottom line, buy yourself two harps, G and D, in the Hohner Big River models and you'll have a couple of good ones. You can always add to the set as the need arises. BTW, the Hohner HH-01 harmonica holder (rack) is as good as you'll need. MF sells that for less than $10. Actually, $7.99, I think.

Or, you could go hog wild from the get-go and spend about $175 for a 7-piece set of Hohner Marine Band harps and be set for a long time.

Whatever you do, if you buy them from MF, make sure you read the reviews on whatever you're looking at. Hope this helps.

• Members

Any suggestions on what would be worth buying? I don't want to spend a ton of money because I'm not sure how much I'll use them. I've got grand visions of using them a lot, but visions like that usually don't materialize in my case

If you buy a G (typically low G) early in your harp learning curve you will probably have some difficulty executing the draw bends. Plus it will feel leaky / non-airtight. Lower harps are harder to draw bend; higher harps are harder to blow bend.

My recommendation would be to get a single C or Bb harmonica and practice bends until you can do them easily. At this point, your reeds might be quasi-ruined (since early bending technique tends to use force over finesse) but then you can use your 'good' technique on your next harp without causing the same damage. The other thing you can practice with a single harp is different positions - play that C harp along with music in the keys of G, D minor, A minor, E minor, etc. and learn how to select your notes.

For that first practice harp I would still get something decent, preferably with a plastic comb. Lee Oskars, Hohner Special 20s, Hohner Golden Melodies and Hohner Big Rivers are great choices.

I know some folks who have played around with harps for years, but have never learned to play clean single notes or bend. If you're content to play blow and draw chords then it really doesn't matter what you get and how you approach learning - any cheap harp like a Bluesband will be just fine.

• Members

I carry 5 - A, C, D, E and G...between 1, 2nd and 3rd positions, those 5 cover all my needs

I've been using the Hohner's "Big River Harp" for several years...they sound as good and last as long as the Marine Band, Blues Harp and Special 20, but cost about 1/2 as much, and I wear out a set 2-3X a year.

Also, the "Old Standby" is not too bad, although they wear out somewhat quicker, they're about $10 per...good for starting out and come in many keys.

For those folks out there that can play the harp, how easy is it to learn?

Not too difficult.

Is it something that comes naturally?

I think so...been playing harmonica since I was 7 (46 years)

How easy is it to play guitar and harmonica at the same time?

Not very...the more you practice, the easier it'll come. Start w/ a simple tune (
Mary Had a Little Lamb
or similar) and get that solid, then work your way up to harder stuff...don't give up!
:thu:

JimKeyesOneManBand.png

An excellent career move! :thu:

• Members

Terry's remark about wearing out harps made me wonder how one knows that a harp has seen better days. I have a few that seem a bit dull, perhaps clogged, on certain draw notes. I'm always careful to shake/knock the harp after playing, so the problem isn't (or shouldn't be) build-up of spit.

So how do you know when it's time to replace a harp?

• Members

Everyone has their favorite. I like the Marine Band but I don't play so much that I wear them out a couple of times a year.

I think over time the reeds just get weak Jack. Some of the Hohner harps have replaceable reeds but it's nearly as expensive as buying a new one.

Yeah, the replacement sets (around $24) only make sense if you'tre playing the Hohner Meisterklasse 580 or Hohner XB40 Extreme Bend harmonica (about $100 for either)...

• Members

Yeah, the replacement sets (around $24) only make sense if you'tre playing the Hohner Meisterklasse 580 or Hohner XB40 Extreme Bend harmonica (about $100 for either)...

Or the Bob Dylan signature model. I think I read that every six months he goes to Germany and licks the replacement reeds. :)

Archived