Never thought I wanted a Arch top,but I was wrong!

KATMAN

• Members

I checked on some Godin 5th Avenue arch tops on the web,now it got me gassing again..It brings me back to the very first guitar I had,a old Harmony.I'd like to get a acoustic version without pickups.I really like the nostalgic look about them.I don't remember too much about the sound.Seems like the older I get,the older the style I like in guitars. No pointed electrics for me either,a Tele or Strat still does wonders.

Anybody play any arch tops without pick ups?

• Members

I would definitely recommend you play a 5th avenue before you buy. It is a great guitar, and depending on the size of your hands you will fall in love immediately. It has a great sound. You can push it darker or brighter with your playing style and string choice. It is a well made instrument. It has a flat neck. It think the radius is 16. That is pretty flat. The people that I know who have them, love them. I guess that only makes sense, but on the other hand, I have never heard anyone say something bad about them. I highly recommend you check them out.

The only other arch-top that I have heard mentioned in the same breath with the 5th ave is the Gretsch G100, but it $200 more. I also know there is a Harmony Reissue. I think it is the H594. I think Elderly has one going for about $700. The 5th Ave goes for around $500 with Tric Case.

• Members

I checked on some Godin 5th Avenue arch tops on the web,now it got me gassing again..It brings me back to the very first guitar I had,a old Harmony.I'd like to get a acoustic version without pickups.I really like the nostalgic look about them.I don't remember too much about the sound.Seems like the older I get,the older the style I like in guitars. No pointed electrics for me either,a Tele or Strat still does wonders.

Anybody play any arch tops without pick ups
?

showtell27.jpg

• Members

The Godin 5th Avenue is a very nice choice. If you have not had one under your fingers, you'll appreciate them even more when you do. For the $200.00 extra I would buy the Kingpin II and then you have the option of playing it plugged in or unplugged. I like something with all the options, if it's available and I can afford it. Just my opinion.

• Members

:wave:
Haven't seen you in a while.

How've you been?

Haven't been around here as much, but still crazy about archtops. Seeing yours still brings back good memories of your build thread. I found a nice build thread for archtop ukuleles a few months ago on Ukulele Underground, might add one to my collection someday...

• Members

".Anybody play any arch tops without pick ups?

When I play mine unplugged I do.

IMO, an arch-top needs a magnetic pick-up. It does NOT need to be played plugged in.

But a magnetic pick-up transforms an arch-top into a different beast.

You only get 1/2 the identity of an arch-top if it doesn't have a magnetic

pick-up on it. You need the other half.

I own the loudest acoustic wooden arch-top guitar* I've ever heard.

I string it with .10's, and it's still louder than a Godin that comes stock w/.12's.

Even so, I installed a pick-up on it. I gotta have that electric guitar sound sometimes.

*I've heard resonator arch-tops that are louder than mine.

James SP's oval-hole arch-top might give mine a run for its money

though in acoustic volume. It's a beauty too.

IMG_7822.JPG

• Members

I'm pretty happy with all my gear at this point. I haven't bought a new guitar in about 2 years and am selling some. But if I ever come across a vintage roundhole Gibson L-4 that sounded like this one (and they are out there I know

because I played one at a gear show in Tampa this good) I would jump on it.

Not muddy at all with sustain for days but just enough punchy mids to make it an archtop sound.

[YOUTUBE]i5oS3lG_mxo[/YOUTUBE]

Archived