Bear claw spruce top???

smokeynichol

• Members

Personally I doubt I'd hear it.

That's the thing. Even if it does influence the tone, would you even be able to tell?

Every guitar sounds different, anyway. Even two examples of the exact same make and model will sound a bit different.

My Larrivee D-03 has a bit of bearclaw. I think it looks good.

• Members

Even if it does influence the tone, would you even be able to tell? Every guitar sounds different, anyway. Even two examples of the exact same make and model will sound a bit different.

Exactly.

I have a couple guitars with bearclaw. If its the right piece of wood, it can look quite beautiful.

DSC_1541.jpg

• Members

I was always under the impression that bearclaw spruce was solely a cosmetic thing, though I could be wrong.

What Howie said about any possible difference in tone is spot-on. I'd be willing to bet that the general tonal variations between guitars would trump any difference in tone due the presence (or lack) of bearclaw spruce.

• Members

Here's what a well-respected luthier (Howard Klepper) says:

Bearclaw is structurally different. It's a variation in the direction of the annular latewood rings. It does tend toward a greater lateral stiffness, with individual variation, of course. It isn't needed for great tone, but it is not purely cosmetic.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

Anything I have read on Bear Claw Spruce says its nothing to do with bears but comes from the way certain trees grow (ie: a genetic thing) & it may be a stronger more ridged top and so give a different sound canvas result, but this may be in the eye and ear of the beholder  - some players like it , some hate it,  so its a choice issue as all acoustic guitars are - Hooray - personally I've never been a fan but recently i purchased a Lag Tramontane Hyvibe 30 guitar that only comes with Bearclaw tops for this model - so, although the guitar has not arrived as yet I find I'm very much looking forward to hearing and seeing for myself it the beliefs of the Bear Claw characteristics are true if only a little bit . This Lag hyvibe guitar depends considerably on having a stiff responsive top as the top acts as speaker for the characteristics of this "Smart" guitar  so the designers are hoping it does a good job - soon I will find out.

• Members

Hi Mooch!  Out of curiosity and a desire for statistics, how did you happen upon this thread?  It is 10 years old😆!

As for bearclaw, it’s a look, I like it fine, but my belief is that even if it did have anything to do with tone, you probably wouldn’t be able to tell in any meaningful way, your LAG will sound good to your ears, or it won’t.

Archived