Do you do any tapping,or add it to songs?

KATMAN

• Members

I wrote a instrumental a long time ago,and I tapped the whole song.I got the idea from listening to Phil Keaggy,who got the idea from Michael Hedges.I used chords and and bounced my fingers all over the fretboard to create the song.I tried to do this for three minutes,but my right arm was killing me.Defintly not a three miute song! I haven't played the song in quite a while,but it's still fresh in my memory. Do any of you all tap?

• Members

A lot of times my walks are done via tapping. My strumming patterns can get a little complicated. Sometimes I can't hit a walk with the pick because it is doing something else. The sound is kind of neat, but tappery gets annoying quick. I personally can't stand to sit and listen to a player do nothing but. I think it kind of seems like musical masturbation to me. I view it about the same as those weedly weedly rock guitarists playing 3 minute solos.

• Members

I don't do it but there's a local guitarist I know who does use tapping and does it beautifully. I think, like with anything else, you need good judgement to decide when it works and when it's too much. I tried a couple of times to fit tapping into a song but ditched the idea. Maybe I will on a future piece though.

• Members

I used chords and and bounced my fingers all over the fretboard to create the song.I tried to do this for three minutes,but my right arm was killing me.Defintly not a three miute song! I haven't played the song in quite a while,but it's still fresh in my memory. Do any of you all tap?

I have one whole tune that is tapping :lol: , Keaggy and Hedges are and were very tasteful in their tapping. All of music I have recorded so far is instrumental .

What tuning were you using for your tapping tune , mine was DADEAD ?

• Members

I done mine in standard tuning.When I first done it I was using a old Conn dread and medium gauge strings.The song might song in good in DADGBD,but haven't tried it yet.I also might trying tuning down a whole step.These days I tune it a half step down and use custon lights D'Addairo strings,.011-052.

• Members

I don't. But one of my favorite electric blues guitarists, Rory Gallagher, was a bit of a pioneer working in various right hand stopping techniques -- often in combination with bends on other strings and the like.

But for Rory, those techniques were just seasoning -- little splashes to and spice and sparkle -- to an already rich and surprisingly complex take on electric guitar soloing.

And, when Stanley Jordan's first album came out, like many guitarists, I was momentarily fascinated.

But buying Jordan's first album dampened my enthusiasm -- since, after I got over the novelty of the technique and started listening to the actual music, I realized that while it was respectable enough in a light jazz sort of way, it really didn't move me.

After that, I sort of created a rule for myself: there's nothing wrong with being amazed and amused by flashy or innovative technique but, ultimately, the music to work as music for me has to survive the blindfold test: if I simply consider the music as music, divorced from gee whiz technique, does it work for me on a musical and/or emotional level? If it does, there ya go. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Archived