Damn I'm gasing...

danxrs05

• Members

I have a Mesa Mark V and a Les Paul Studio that have been in the closet for almost a year now.

Why? because I found out that I really love playing acoustic music. And it's growing on me.

Been composing, writing, recording...etc.

I have a Martin D-15 which I really dig...

Since a few weeks the thought of me selling my Mesa and Gibson have been haunting me...

I've been thinking of buying a more high end acoustic guitar.

maybe even sell my D-15. And by a custom Martin...

I have a Taylor GS Mini as a travelling so I've end up with a killer acoustic and a nice back up.

God I don't know if I should...

:facepalm:

It's a HUGE decision since it's almost a 3000$ decision... hehe.

Have you ever been in my situation?

• Members

If you dig the D15, I wouldn't sell it.

If you decide to sell your Gibson, you may regret it, you may not. Some peoples' musical tastes change, and they don't change back, but most people go back and forth. If you ever decide to play a little electric in the future, you won't get as nice a guitar as your LP for the money you'll get out of it.

Don't let your GAS make you sell things that you really do like. Save up and be patient.

Just a thought.

As far as being in your situation, I am lusting after a Taylor 616ce. If I sold every guitar I have, and a couple of guns, and saved some money, I'd be able to afford it.

Or I can save up for a while, and keep playing the guitars I already own.

• Members

I think you should keep the D15 too, since you like it so much. You may end up with a very expensive guitar that doesn't make you as happy as what you already have. :facepalm:

I'd go on and sell the LP and amp though, if you seem to have lost interest in electrics. And it's not like you can't find another LP someday if you change your mind and decide to go electric again.

• Members

It is good to have these thoughts, because it forces you to re-evaluate your possessions. I can imagine not having an electric guitar (or three!) I think you should have one too - keep the LP Studio. As for the amp, you might want to down size from the Mesa - but that by itself won't provide funds to upgrade your guitar by a whole lot.

Since you haven't yet identified what it is you might really want, I'd recommend that you stand pat for now. You have a couple of nice instruments and you should spend your time playing them and not worrying about acquiring new gear. In fact, I suggest that you make a point to play your electric a bit more frequently, I would bet that you rekindle your love for the electric guitar.

• Members

That's a real nice electric setup you have. I am not a fan of Mesa amps though. Not because of the sound but more because they are just way too friggin' heavy ...give me a little Fender Blues Jr. anytime. ;) Also, a Mesa Mark V is way more power than I'd ever need for any electric gig I'd ever do. They are awesome amps though...if you are playing the Scotia Bank Centre or the old Barrymores on Bank Street (I played there 25 yrs ago with a 100 watt amp w/4-12 cab). My electric setup now is simply a vintage Roland Cube 60 and a cheap Les Paul Studio copy made by Jay Turser. Total cost for both guitar and amp was $335. I played a band gig last night with this setup and made $135. :eek:

I say you should sell the amp, get a cheaper smaller one and with the remainder of your cash save towards a Martin D-28.

• Members

Keep the Les Paul. It's a nice electric to have in case your tastes change down the road.

This is good advice. You have both, and 2 very nice guitars. A new high end acoustic won't make you play any better, though it may make you play more, until the shine wears off. If you have the money, get what you want, if you don't, save. But don't sell the Les Paul, that's something everyone here that's over 40 has done time and time again, and always end up regretting.

Unless you really don't care for playing electric or you really don't like the Les Paul, they are heavy after all..

Or unless you're young yet, in which case you need to sell it if you're ever going to learn anything!!

• Members

Are you over '30?

are you going to be playing in bars/clubs forever??....if you do at all?

so, if you are over '30 and dont see yourself at '40 playing in clubs, then sell the youth (rock star) gear and move into the 2nd part of your adult musical life.

Which would be, the acoustic half...

Thats how it works., and you'll be much more content.

If you had a LP that was older then an '81, then maybe i would tell you to sit on it, but as its a studio and not a custom or a deluxe or even a standard, then, really, ......sell.

On the other hand......if you are making your living with your LP/Boogie , then that is an entirely different aspect.

But if not...

One good thing is that we are living in the golden age of luthiery, in that there are a lot of small shop custom builders out there who are making incredible acoustic guitars, and can dial in exactly what you want for 2-3000.00.

here is one..

http://www.kolayaco.com/index2.php#/home/

Brad is making world class guitars for about $2500, and that includes all the custom woods, the customization, and in about 6 weeks from the start date its shipped.

• Members

Thanks everyone. I'll continue to think about it.

For now I am keeping everything. Just to see if it is a buzz that will go away.

But to answer a few questions: No I do not make a living out of it. Never play(ed) in a bar or gig. Dont have a band anymore, and am 26.

So Ill wait a few months to see if I can find the love I once had for my LP/Mesa combo! hehe

Thanks eveyrone.

PS. Changed the strings on my D-15 this week. Definately keeping this one. I love it too much!!!!

• Members

Thanks everyone. I'll continue to think about it.

For now I am keeping everything. Just to see if it is a buzz that will go away.

But to answer a few questions: No I do not make a living out of it. Never play(ed) in a bar or gig. Dont have a band anymore, and am 26.

So Ill wait a few months to see if I can find the love I once had for my LP/Mesa combo! hehe

Thanks eveyrone.

PS. Changed the strings on my D-15 this week. Definately keeping this one. I love it too much!!!!

Sounds like a good idea. You obviously loved to play the electric at one time. The D-15 is a great guitar. Having been playing my Martin 000-15 almost exclusively for the last year or so I have to admit I love the unique dryer tone of the all mahogany bodied 15 series guitars. I don't think I want another flat top acoustic. An archtop (acoustic or electric) though on the other hand...:love: I GAS for this...I tried out a Godin 5th Ave you the other day. It had a terrible setup but sounded really good. I might go back and see about getting it a setup and trying it again. The action was way too low with too much buzzing...yuck. :( I like a high action on an archtop.

Archived