Steve Howe

recordingtrack1

• Members

Here's a great lost interview of Steve Howe that was posted on Guitar Jam last month.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2708886-The-Lost-Steve-Howe-Interview&highlight=Steve+Howe

Surprised the heck outta me that he'd cite Roger McQuinn as such a big influence. But now I'll never hear Roundabout w/o being reminded of Eight Miles High.

• Members

I learned 'Mood for a Day' in 1972 off the vinyl recording. Steve Howe and Jan Akkermann (from the Dutch band, Focus) were huge influences on me for learning to play the classical guitar way back then.

BTW my first rock concert at age 16 in 1971 was Yes. The 'Fragile' album had just been released. They opened up with a dark stage with the final movement of Stravinsky's 'Firebird Suite' blaring through the PA, and Rick Wakeman picked up on his Mellotron where Stravinsky left off as the stage lights came up. During the concert I was up close and had a great view of Steve Howe. My life as a guitarist was forever changed. He was unlike any rock guitar god of the day I had seen.....he only played these big fat dual and triple pickup blonde Gibson guitars from the 50's......he held the guitar very high.....and he had this amazing left hand position with wrist arched and thumb behind the neck! The warm-up band that evening in Passaic NJ was new to the scene, a little band who called themselves the Eagles. Wow......what a freakin' great show!!!!

• Members

I learned 'Mood for a Day' in 1972 off the vinyl recording. Steve Howe and Jan Akkermann (from the Dutch band, Focus) were huge influences on me for learning to play the classical guitar way back then.

BTW my first rock concert at age 16 in 1971 was Yes. The 'Fragile' album had just been released. They opened up with a dark stage with the final movement of Stravinsky's 'Firebird Suite' blaring through the PA, and Rick Wakeman picked up on his Mellotron where Stravinsky left off as the stage lights came up. During the concert I was up close and had a great view of Steve Howe. My life as a guitarist was forever changed. He was unlike any rock guitar god of the day I had seen.....he only played these big fat dual and triple pickup blonde Gibson guitars from the 50's......he held the guitar very high.....and he had this amazing left hand position with wrist arched and thumb behind the neck! The warm-up band that evening in Passaic NJ was new to the scene, a little band who called themselves the Eagles. Wow......what a freakin' great show!!!!

WOW! That WOULD have been a great show! And 1971 - heck - that was before I had started going to concerts. And, dude, I'm OLD! :lol:

I saw Yes three times. All were great shows.

Yes always used to open all their shows with the Finale of the Firebird Suite as a fanfair. Years and years they did that. Later, they switched to Benjamin Britten's A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. It was Yes and other prog rock bands, in fact, that first exposed me to classical music. (And The Firebird is STILL my favorite. :thu:)

• Members

When I was 14-15, I learned Mood For A Day and The Clap, as well as Heart of The Sunrise and just about anything else I could get my guitar teacher to tab out for me. Just recently I got the CDs (which I originally had on vinyl) of The Yes Album, Fragilee, & Close To The Edge (probably my fav). I still remember every note, though I can't play them all (gotta work on that). Also, I went through a major ES-175 GAS attack and looked at Steve Howe's glorious axe. Just about pulled the trigger on an Epiphone ES-175, but at the last minute I got lucky and found a Epiphone Zephyr Regent, which is based on the earlier one-pup Gibson ES-175 (and later became the Gibson Herb Ellis ES-165).

I only saw them on the 90215 (Owner of a Lonely Heart) tour with Trevor Rabin. IIRC Howe was in Asia (Heat of the Moment) at the time.

That lost interview is so cool! Just read a bit and gotta read some more ...

Archived