Selling Out: Marketing. What people want. Where you'll get a job.

LordBTY

• Members

Lets talk about how we need to go about selling out. But no, really, I felt this forum needed a thread for people to post their insights with regards to the marketing world. I don't know as much as I'd like to about the industry and I reckon people have a lot to say about. This may well make for an interesting read. So, here are some things to kick people off:

Marketing.

How does one market one's self?

What tools are available to market one's self?

How does this affect artistic integrity?

How does one create and what is 'image'?

How important is image compared to the music?

What people want.

What sells and what do people want from music?

Where do people want these kinds of music?

Who wants certain kinds of music and who's still buying records?

How much do people care about image?

How much do people care about 'artistic integrity'?

What affects people's perceptions of 'enjoyable music' within the marketing realm?

Is it really realistic to make music you want to make and try be successful with it?

Where you'll get a job.

How realistic is it to get a job in the industry?

Is 'working hard' and 'talent' really enough?

What kind of jobs opportunities are there?

How does one go about getting these interesting jobs?

Note: I have a few things to say on it and I'll address these points of discussion when I have more energy.

• Members

How realistic is it to get a job in the industry?

Is 'working hard' and 'talent' really enough?

What kind of jobs opportunities are there?

How does one go about getting these interesting jobs?

1- Depends if you want to make money or not.

2- No, not even close.

3- Not many.

4- Contacts, money, blowjobs

• Members

I ponder when a person moves from being a musician to an entertainer...the latter giving oneself full license to pretty much do anything on stage for a buck, attention..etc.

Depends on who you are.

If you're KISS, it was "when the band started"

If you're Metallica, it was "as soon as they realized they need to start making some real money and hire Bob Rock or give this up".

• Members

My respect to the bands slogging through the weekend gigs (what's left of them) - they can give you insights on making it in the trenches.

I've never seen any mega stars frequent this board who can tell you how they got where they are today. You might get it through artist bio's - books or online.

For the most part here you'll get insights (opinions) from people who have never "made it" in the industry. Let the debate begin. :D

• Members

I've never seen any mega stars frequent this board who can tell you how they got where they are today. You might get it through artist bio's - books or online.

For the most part here you'll get insights (opinions) from people who have never "made it" in the industry. Let the debate begin.
:D

LOLZ, painfully true

• Members

My respect to the bands slogging through the weekend gigs (what's left of them) - they can give you insights on making it in the trenches.

For the most part here you'll get insights (opinions) from people who have never "made it" in the industry. Let the debate begin.

I believe the reason no mega stars frequent this board is because they don't have the time. They are too busy on tour, recording, doing interviews, photo sessions, a few moments with their families, etc. If I was someone like Dave Grohl, I know that whenever I would have a moment to myself, the last thing I would do is use that time to frequent a message board with a bunch of people that didn't make it and try to explain 'how' to make it. :p

• Members

At the upper levels, people are ripping off each others ideas. Information is valuable. While I am sure some top dogs would love to share what they have learned, the competitive nature of the business precludes 'opening the books' to so speak. The rent has to be paid.

But even a few rungs down, some of the common musicians problems that everyone fights...like live volume...I took the time to explore.solved....do people listen? Not really.

So it's a catch .22. At the bottom people are unwilling or unable to apply the proven theory to move up..so your banging your head against the wall talking to these people....and at the upper levels, your cutting your own throat by giving it away as that creates more direct competition for yourself.

• Members

There actually have been a few guys who played with national acts that have posted on these forum. Maybe not "mega-stars", but band names you'd instantly recognize.

And the fact is, no matter how successful anyone has gotten, there is no prescribed way to "make it"and never has been. What works for one person fails for the 10,000 who try it after. Even the hitmaker producers only have about a 20% success rate at the top end. After reading all the "Make it in the Music Business" books, attending all the success seminars with the business gurus, all the recording of demos, the promotion, the contests and competitions, the touring, and everything else that's recommended for success, in the end it still comes down to dumb luck- having the right product in the right place at the right time with the right people there to hear and see it. Oh sure, you've increased your chances of getting somewhere, much like buying 100 lottery tickets is better than buying one. But have just one wrong person in your band, one bad performance at a showcase, one demo get lost in the mail, be 5 minutes late for one meeting, get one producer or promoter hear you who is distracted for any reason- and that's it. It can be as subjective as they didn't like your accent or your clothes or your hair was too greasy that day or....fill in the blank. There are so many variables that are beyond the control of the average musician that it is staggering to consider.

I should add that those subjective things can be why they sign you or decide to promote you as well. Maybe the producer's girlfriend thought your song was catchy or that you were cute. Maybe they were in a really good mood. Or maybe you have that one in a million hit songs and all the stars lined up that day.

If there were a road map or formula for success, all the winners of American Idol would be huge stars. But if they still can't "make it" after 5 months of being on the biggest promo machine the world has ever seen, what does that tell us about the nature of achieving success? I don't know about you, but it's telling me that at the end of the day, it's still an entirely subjective process. Even the producers of AI have conceded that they really can't pick stars, which is why they opened it up for the public voting. And even the public can't pick them consistently. Maybe that's why fame and success is called "catching lightning in a jar."

• Members

Funny for all the obvious reasons why bands don't make it, the one the boggles is the band that could make it, but they just aren't motivated.

I was on the inside of a studio band with all the makings of the next big thing, and it crumbled for no reason. As stupid as this sounds..what made 80s bands motivated (getting laid making money) seems doesn't apply to this generation of super slacker that would rather stay home and work {censored}ty jobs then go out and start right away opening for national acts.

• Members

Stars don't frequent these boards because people that frequent web forums are bored assholes.

Speaking as one: the Marketing is as important as the music. They have been one and the same since forever in popular music. Everybody began to believe they weren't for a while in one particular genre and it was just a buncha bull{censored}: various rock Music made since the early 1970s in which the artists were promoted as "authentic artists."

Yes: Bruce Springsteen is the real deal as far as that goes. But Bruce Springsteen also understands that the basic point of show business is to put on a {censored}ing show. And putting on a show is essentially a phony endeavor.

• Members

Funny for all the obvious reasons why bands don't make it, the one the boggles is the band that could make it, but they just aren't motivated.

BlueStrat correctly outlined how much has to come together externally outside a band for them to have a chance, but before all that happens, a band needs absolutely everything internally to click - and it just doesn't happen for 99% of them.

• Members

BlueStrat correctly outlined how much has to come together externally outside a band for them to have a chance, but before all that happens, a band needs absolutely everything
internally
to click - and it just doesn't happen for 99% of them.

So easy to solve though, maybe they should read a few band bios.

Just hire and fire until you get the right guys.

• Members

Its a dumb song, but its a good party song.
Why not?
Toby can take a chance on a dumb song and sell it.

Because it blows. I can see the guy sitting on his tour bus, smoking weed, and saying to his band "I wonder just how stupid a song I can write and have people eat it up?" Well, I guess now we know.

Archived