Doc Watson

FretFiend.

• Members

Doc is still doing shows. He performed two shows yesterday in Asheville. He is 88 years old, and I don't think he got through a whole song without forgetting some lyrics. David Holt, T. Michael Coleman, and Charles Welch helped him out.

Still a GREAT show! :thu:

I don't see how he can keep going much longer. Go see him while you still can.

• Members

Yeah, Terry.....to your mother in law "Arthel" was just one of the local neighbors.

A friend of mine lived in Arizona as a kid. Said he grew up across the street from a kid named John Deuthchendorf. When he was about 25 he found out that his boyhood friend was now named John Denver.

• Members

Doc is one of my heroes, and a big influence musically. I loved his work with Merle, and one of the songs I perform is Merle's "Southbound". Talked to him back stage briefly at a concert in Woodstock, IL.

If you havent seen the video of "the Three Pickers", be sure to get a copy and watch. It is a video of concert approx 10 years ago, with Doc Watson, Earle Scruggs and Ricky Skaggs. A fantastic night and neither Doc nor Earle missed a lick - even at their (even then) advanced age.

Archived