Solid wood top, back, + sides for under $600?

EvilMinstrel

• Members

I seriously need an upgrade in the acoustics department. I've been looking at Breedlove, Taylor , Takamine, (and used vintage Giannini, which I've been advised to steer clear of.) I also looked at some mid level LAG guitars (which I've only recently become aware of.) I'm looking at the import lines, as I'm sadly in no position to consider a US made instrument right now. I'm not completely against laminates, but they do seem cheapish to me. I had started my quest thinking I would get a parlor, but gave up on it. I like the Breedlove C25 shape, and am eying a particular one on ebay, but I'd like to get some opinions. I should mention that playability is the main factor here. My Yamaha is stiff, with action higher than I'd like, and though it sounds decent enough, is not an easy guitar to play. Any thoughts?

• Members

Blueridge, Recording King, and Silver Creek, are brand names that come to mind, in descending order of quality. Good all-solid guitars available from all three. You might want to look at the Epiphone Masterbuilt guitars too.

As far as playability, it's asking too much to expect a perfect setup right out of the box. Practically any brand you buy will likely need a $50, or so, setup.

• Members

I second the Guild Gad 25, but I recently played a Guild Gad RCE 30 which was fantastic (maybe cost more than you're looking for)...And for the fun part, I recently stumbled over a tanglewood solid mahogany parlour guitar for around 300 Euros which was FANTASTIC..!! (almost distrubing when you think about it....).

• Members

dv_200_nv_large_Lg.jpg

Dreadnought Body Style

Solid Engelmann Spruce Top

Solid Mahogany Back and Sides

Mahogany Neck

Indian Rosewood Bridge and Fretboard

20 Frets

Chrome Hardware

Deluxe Chrome Tuners with Mushroom Buttons

Pearl Position marks and Herring-bone soundhole Inlay

Tortoise Pick Guard

For 449.10 (Plus shipping)

Same guitar Garthmans is suggesting Crafter DV200NV Acoustic Guitar

http://www.gearhounds.com/crafter-dv200nv-acoustic-guitar.aspx

Crafter does make some nice guitars

• Members

The Guild GAD-25 is a lot of all-solid-wood git for the bucks, and I love mine, but the beautifully dark, woody all-hog sound/tone isn't for everyone. Do play one, though, if you get the opportunity, before making your final decision.

Epi Masterbilt is another excellent value - all solid wood and monster tone, but not a wallet breaker. :)

Archived