3-D Printers and composite guitars

Glenn F

• Members

I was reading a couple of articles on the 'NEXT REVOLUTIONARY THING' lately, namely 3-D printers. You input the specs, and the 'printer' 'prints' out the objects. Almost sci-fi, like the Star Trek replicator. I wonder when/if manufacturers or even do-it-yourselfers will apply this technology to making guitars? Mind-boggling stuff!

:eek:

Glenn

• Members

One youtube video I saw seemed to claim that the material was very strong. For example they "printed" out a plumbers wrench (with working gear) and the demonstrator claimed it could actually be used as a wrench. It seems to be a sort of resin. Probably strong enough for electric guitars but I don't know about acoustic guitars.

• Members

We work with 3-D modeling tools all the time - our group uses the industry standard SolidWorks. You can print 2-D copies to look at but often we'll just send the file to a cnc mill, turning center or laser cutter to make the "real" piece. SolidWorks also uses what is called "parametric design" which means that if you change a parameter (lets say length of one part) it affects the entire design. Change the scale length for example on a guitar design and it would relocate the bridge, recalculate the compensation, move the crossing of the X brace all automatically. Is that how I want to design guitars? Not necessarily but the technology is there today.

I just came back from an equipment show called FabTec and 3-D modeling was in use in many of the exhibits.

• Members

We work with 3-D modeling tools all the time - our group uses the industry standard SolidWorks. You can print 2-D copies to look at but often we'll just send the file to a cnc mill, turning center or laser cutter to make the "real" piece. SolidWorks also uses what is called "parametric design" which means that if you change a parameter (lets say length of one part) it affects the entire design. Change the scale length for example on a guitar design and it would relocate the bridge, recalculate the compensation, move the crossing of the X brace all automatically. Is that how I want to design guitars? Not necessarily but the technology is there today.

I just came back from an equipment show called FabTec and 3-D modeling was in use in many of the exhibits.

We used SolidWorks extensively in my last job - designing hardware (buckles, locks, etc.) for the fashion industry. SW is very well suited for that sort of thing. I believe it was developed, initially, to facilitate 3D modeling of artificial limbs. I can't imagine what the first printers must have looked like. Ours was the size of a large ATM.

• Members

The materials are getting more robust. The military is looking into using 3d printers to make tools instead of shipping a whole tool shed. I've heard it said that 3d printers would be better for space travel as well.

The few Composite Acoustic Guitars I have played, sounded and played great.

Archived