Yamaha FG450S, any good?

schandmann

• Members

I agree. Love my 74
FG-200
!

I think it may be my favorite of the bunch. Mine's from 1973, made in Taiwan. Plays (and smells!) like heaven. Someone replaced the original tuners with Shallers before I got it, but that's the only work that's been done to it that I can see.

I notice from your sig that you also have an "original" FG-750S.

I have one of those as well. Incredible sounding beast it is, too! The sustain and volume on that thing is like having an orchestra in your lap (also true of the FG-180). I play the FG-200 more, though, to be honest. That baby just sings to me. It's also amazingly light for its size, which adds to the comfort level.

Personally...I think schandmann may have made a bad call here. That guitar looked mighty sweet to me. I bet it sounded gorgeous, too.

• Members

Yeah you may be right. Wish I were closer to the git and could ride over and see/hear it. On the other hand, probably a good thing I'm not! I love my FG-200 as well. The FG750S sounds great but even it cannot match the bottom end of the 200, it's a cannon on the base side!

• Members

For what it's worth, my FG450SA eats my FG180's for breakfast. My brother also has one of each and the same effect. The 180's have slightly more volume, but lack the beautiful mids. I wouldn't take the 450 to the beach though. The 180's are so loud they scare the seagulls. ;-)

I never owned an FG-450S, so I can't judge. If you're looking for beautiful mids, though, I doubt you can do better than an FG-340. There are other factors I look for when favoring a guitar than frequency response, though.

At my age, comfort is a major consideration (both with regard to the guitar itself and string action). I would gladly trade a bit in bass or mid response for a large bump in playing comfort...and often do (I don't play the FG-340 as much as I probably should for that reason). Both the FG-180 and FG-200 guitars are incredibly lightweight (compared to the FG-750S, for example, which is far more "substantial"), something that will always swing my choice in their favor...not to mention both sound terrific.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been searching for another solid top FG from that era and finally found an FG-480s, the top-of-the-line model.

From what I've seen, it's in good condition and not in need of a neck reset and luckily the guy selling it doesn't live too far away, so I'll check it out myself.

Anything I should do except for the ruler-test?

Archived