OT: pistol-packing mama

kwakatak

• Members

Great article and "she'll always be a lady to me". Met and got to know a few spinsters when I did odd jobs as a handy man while working through college. Pretty self-reliant and not skeert a'nuthin'. One had a pistol in a cabinet-front pivoting compartment just below her kitchen sink. I was changing her garbage disposal and when I was reaching up to pull myself out from beneath I accidentally opened the compartment and out flipped a loaded .38. It landed on my leg, slid to the floor and stopped with the barrel pointed at my face. She picked it up and said that's exactly why she doesn't like automatics. One of those might've gone off and "you'd'a shot yersef". Another preferred long guns and had one at each door of her house. She was a puny thing and all were sawed-off 12 side-by-sides. She took me out back to her range and we shot up a bunch of stuff. She had the technique down perfectly. For "real shootin" she had an old colt .45 auto - loose bushing, original gun - and did pretty well with it.

Oh, that AGF place is already dead to me. When I got that kindly decease and desist PM from one-each "rlouie" I figured it wasn't a place for natural born humans to go. So I left it for the future Blade Runners to (eventually) cull it of its androids.

• Members

I saw this over on the AGF and had to share. I know a couple of you gun nuts would get a kick out of it:

418452_10150514979892971_663599554_n.jpg

BTW, the thread died an early death at AGF. Why? Would you believe the excuse was "foul language?" Puh-lease.
:rolleyes:

:thu: My Hero!

Seriously, good for her I do think it is great!

• Members

Yeah, I know what it's like over at AGF. You can't say "poop" over there without hearing about it. It's just too sanitary for me. I'm not a "potty mouth", but when I hear grown adults using expletives like "darn" and "heck" I just wonder why they even bother. It just sounds childish to me.

Loved your story, Kwak. That's how an "young woman" gets to be an "old woman". We live in a sick world these days and a lady can't afford to be too careful. Hat's off to her! I don't consider myself to be a "gun nut", but I DO own two revolvers and one little 380 pistol. Two of them I keep loaded. Don't have a CC permit, but I've considered getting one. Probably won't, though.

When I was in my 30s, a lady in her 40s bought the house next door to us. One day we were talking over the back fence when she reached into her pocket for something and a small revolver, a 22, slipped out and fell to the ground. She told me she doesn't walk out of her house without it. Then she told me about the time she'd been mugged in the parking lot when she paid a visit to her mother who resided in a senior citizen retirement community. The perp took her purse and she got beaten up pretty badly. Said if it ever happened again, somebody was gonna get shot!! I'm pretty sure she was dead serious about it.

• Members

Great article and "she'll always be a lady to me". Met and got to know a few spinsters when I did odd jobs as a handy man while working through college. Pretty self-reliant and not skeert a'nuthin'. One had a pistol in a cabinet-front pivoting compartment just below her kitchen sink. I was changing her garbage disposal and when I was reaching up to pull myself out from beneath I accidentally opened the compartment and out flipped a loaded .38. It landed on my leg, slid to the floor and stopped with the barrel pointed at my face. She picked it up and said that's exactly why she doesn't like automatics. One of those might've gone off and "you'd'a shot yersef". Another preferred long guns and had one at each door of her house. She was a puny thing and all were sawed-off 12 side-by-sides. She took me out back to her range and we shot up a bunch of stuff. She had the technique down perfectly. For "real shootin" she had an old colt .45 auto - loose bushing, original gun - and did pretty well with it.

Oh, that AGF place is already dead to me. When I got that
kindly decease and desist PM from one-each "rlouie"
I figured it wasn't a place for natural born humans to go. So I left it for the future Blade Runners to (eventually) cull it of its androids.

Around here we call those revolving cabinets "Lazy Susans" but I gather that none of these women are lazy by any stretch.

I was raised by a tree hugger and didn't even fire a .22 until I was in boot camp. I forget what I did but since I was in the Navy I wasn't required to maintain proficiency so I gave it up and went back to hugging trees once I got back into college. Oddly, I recall that I did better at the range than the inner-city gang-bangers who were encouraged to enlist or face jail time. I remember one guy hit the target for 8 out of 40 shots and proclaimed that he'd have done better with an Uzi - but the guy next to him had well over 55 hits on his target. :freak:

As for AGF, yup the thread was locked by (you guessed it) "rlouie." He's like their resident self-appointed anti-troll. IIRC he's just a kid himself.

• Members

Around here we call those revolving cabinets "Lazy Susans" but I gather that none of these women are lazy by any stretch.

I was raised by a tree hugger and didn't even fire a .22 until I was in boot camp. I forget what I did but since I was in the Navy I wasn't required to maintain proficiency so I gave it up and went back to hugging trees once I got back into college. Oddly, I recall that I did better at the range than the inner-city gang-bangers who were encouraged to enlist or face jail time. I remember one guy hit the target for 8 out of 40 shots and proclaimed that he'd have done better with an Uzi - but the guy next to him had well over 55 hits on his target.
:freak:

As for AGF, yup the thread was locked by (you guessed it) "rlouie." He's like their resident self-appointed anti-troll. IIRC he's just a kid himself.

It wasn't a corner or cabinet lazy susan. It was a flat horizontal facia panel of rectangular shape with a center pull. It was about 5 inches high by 16-18 inches wide. It rotated out from the top, hinged at the two lower corners, with a plastic trough on the inside for holding sponges. The depth was only maybe 3-1/2 to 4 inches. It was located on the cabinet supporting the sink, just below the counter and centered on the sink. Looking at it you'd think it was a false drawer. Oh, the gun was dripping with oil. I remember because I picked it up and the stuff was running out of it from every joint and break line. She said the last one got rusty from the location and ruined it.

My pop got me and my brother proficient on every weapon he owned (shotguns, .22, .38 and .45 pistols, a .30 carbine, bow and home-made blow gun for frog hunting) before we hit our teens. He was the Great Santini, though. As a matter of fact, when I had to qualify on M-16 in boot camp with the Chair Force I was so good there were 78 rounds on a four inch grouping at 75 yards in my target. They gave us 75 rounds to qualify. Now that's doing some shooting! Some ijit sent three well-placed rounds into my target. Had I known that I'd have returned the favor. Otherwise, when I went in they had recently switched from the standard .45 side arm back to the ancient .38. We had to carry them on my early missions and I used to think the only thing that peashooter was good for was offing myself. No stopping power. What was the point? Self defense? Right. Anway, I had to qualify on that thing later when I got assigned "combat" duty. I'd just as soon not carried it at all because there was no survivable method of getting out of that airplane once airborne anyway.

Did not know that about rlouie. He must be on JR's zipper duty. I might go over there and solicit some of the same from him just to stir the "vegetables".

• Members

Hats off to the old gal. This world is totally nuts now and a person has to take steps to protect themselves. I have three of them in the house and one in the garage, all idiot-big and shiny.

As for the AGF, I post there every once in awhile, and it's so sanitary that it's really boring. Same {censored} over and over and over......

• Members

When SECONDS COUNT, the police are only MINUTES AWAY!

Good for the old lady. I hope that she becomes a role model for people when it comes to self-protection. Responsible gun-ownership can save lives and it does more times than not, but you seldom hear about it in the news. The report here is a novelty.

Archived