My girl thinks I should get a new guitar...

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

I filed my taxes 3 weeks ago. The government owes me a hefty sum. The smart thing would be to put it right in the bank as I live pretty much hand to mouth.

However...

=D

I'm thinking bad thoughts.

I bounced my bad thoughts off my new girlfriend. She thinks I should totally get a new guitar. I would hate to disappoint her!!

My state money showed up two weeks ago. WHERE'S MY FEDERAL MONEY DAMMIT?!?

Anyone else gearing up as part of tax season? I'm feeling fiscal guilt. Who else is scratching the 6 string itch this time of year. Fess up!! I won't tell your girlfriends. =D

• Members

That's my theory. I try to work it so it comes out as close to zero as possible.

Yeah.... I wish I could. Every time my accountant tells me to up my quarterly taxes, I never go as much as she suggests. Maybe I'm secretly hoping I'll have a bad year...

But I still think Mike should get a new National 12 string, or a used one... better a used one if he can find one.

• Members

Saving money is hard for a lot of people. Especially when banks pay you nothing, the stock market still hasn't regained its peak from 12 years ago, etc.

So buying a guitar is not a bad way to save. Seriously. The trick to saving is to buy non-depreciating assets. Appreciating assets are even better. Used Martins, for example, seem to hold their value pretty well. They'll probably track inflation, which is better than a savings account will do today.

• Members

I might be a stinker but I say save it. It's a one-shot deal. Appreciation counts more in the bank than on the guitar. Besides, the guitar won't mean as much in a few weeks as it did the day you brought it home and it goes downhill from there.

• Members

Well, I speak in hyperbole a little when I say hand to mouth. I refinanced the house last summer and that has made things a lot easier. Usually my tax refund sits in the bank until the fall/winter when the heating bills go crazy.

I'm too responsible to just spend the money. I'm implementing austerity measures. No more restaurant breakfasts/lunches during the week. All food comes from home now. That alone will save me tons of coin (and help me lose a few pounds as well).

12 string?!? Neal, that's cooky talk. That's 6 too many. In fact, for me, a 6 string is prolly 6 too many. My short list is a baritone El Trovador or a baritone Triolian/NRP. I love the black rust finish, but don't want a "knuckle-caster" neccessarily. If I go steel bodied, I'm thinking wallnutburst or Deuco (though that's an awful lot of money for a finish). I keep coming back to the El Trovador.

I had one once (non-baritone). I ended up swapping it for my Style O as the Trovador which was sent to me was haunted. I never forgot it's tone/feel/look. I think that 4" deep body and wooden sound well could really do the trick with the baritone scale. Add that sexy tight waist and I think I may be done deciding!!

NGELTB_body-front.jpg

• Members
Fiscal responsibility or new guitar day?

Have your cake and eat it too! Buy a used guitar.
:)

Actually, a great plan..not only is it fiscally responsible, but when you buy a new guitar, you never REALLY know what it'll sound like when it's aged/broken in, but with an older guitar, you can tell from 1st strum.

Which is also a good argument for not marrying a virgin... ;):p:lol:

• Members

Tax season is definitely a prime time to buy or sell a guitar... I had several guitars up for sale for months, then February came around, and three of them sold within 6 days. All because of tax returns, I believe.

I don't quite live hand to mouth, but I don't have a huge sum of money hidden away either. I have found that buying used guitars at good prices is really a no risk proposition. They can always be sold for at least what I paid. I've never had a problem moving gear, so in that sense, its like having money in the bank.... only better, because you get to experience a lot of cool gear in the process

And I agree, these girls are keepers. I know way too many who would never approve. Do it while you still can.

• Members

Yep......buy it BEFORE you marry her. Some of them change the lyrics to their songs after they marry you. I thank my lucky stars that mine didn't, but I have some friends who'd tell a different story. Mine has never stopped me, but she still keeps asking Why? Why? Why do you need another guitar (or fiddle, or mandolin, or uke, or harmonica, or penny whistle, or banjo....it just goes on and on)?? Every once in awhile you gotta sell something just to shut 'em up!

Women! You can't live with 'em and........well, that's about it.

• Members

My order has been placed. A baritone national is now on its way to me. I should have it sometime next week, and just happen to be on vacation the week after. I couldn't have planned this better if I tried.

Once she's here, I'll cough up the obligatory pix and clips.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! I just bought a guitar!!!! Soon it will be the happy life of a goat for me!!!

• Members

Is it the El Trov? Cream City Music has been wanting to sell me theirs for awhile now, and it's a real sweet one. I hope you got a good deal, and if you got it from them, it's got (worth {censored}, but..) my seal of approval!

Y'know, the whole 12 string thing is really a pretty personal journey. That's a lot of cacophony goin' on, a PITA to change strings, much less tune different tunings on the fly, and a relatively limited use. You did good.

And FOCK those that told you to save yer cash. Pussies.

• Members

Is it the El Trov? Cream City Music has been wanting to sell me theirs for awhile now, and it's a real sweet one. I hope you got a good deal, and if you got it from them, it's got (worth {censored}, but..) my seal of approval!

Y'know, the whole 12 string thing is really a pretty personal journey. That's a lot of cacophony goin' on, a PITA to change strings, much less tune different tunings on the fly, and a relatively limited use. You did good.

And FOCK those that told you to save yer cash. Pussies.

Well, I did mention something about saving the cash but not for the purpose you mention. And..., I'm 12 string born and bred. I learned fingerstyle on a Yamaha FG230 Louisville Slugger, graduated to a Guild F-412 and after it surrendered its sweetness got a Norman B20-12 for some right jangly goodness. But, I'm exploring the 6-string at the moment for voices I hear in my head and maybe one day will take on another 12.

Congrats, McGee. Will be listening for it's arrival.

Archived