Yamaha Strings

FretFiend.

• Members

Yamaha is now making a big deal of plugging the strings they ship on their guitars (and they are decent strings) but they aren't available... definitely not in the US, or anywhere else that I can tell.

Why all the hype over strings if they aren't for sale anywhere? Maybe they figure people will buy the guitars just to get the strings. :freak:

• Members

They're out there.......I found 'em once upon a time.......one of the string web sites.......stringthis.com.......stringsandbeyond.com.......juststrings.com.......one of 'em.......can't remember which now.

Coulda been a one-time deal.......don't know.

I didn't care for 'em so I didn't buy any.

The strings that sound the best (so far) on my Yamaha are the MSP4100 Martins. I'm gonna try some MSP4150s next time around. Somebody on another web site was bragging about 'em.

• Members

Keep in mind that Yamaha is a global company. I am willing to bet that they sell a lot of strings in other markets than the US.

I like their strings.

I picked up a new FG730S a few weeks ago. I still have the stock strings on because they sound good.

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]343464[/ATTACH]

I posted a little bit about Yamaha strings a couple months back. I bought a new Yamaha CPX 900 which came with a hang tag proclaiming the benefits of Yamaha's new anti-rust strings. I thought the strings were weird, because all of the corrosion sticks to your hand, not to the strings. It's not just a strange reaction with my body chemistry, because everyone else that's played the guitar for more than a few minutes got crud on their fingers as well. The attached picture shows how my hand looked after playing the new strings for about an hour. (I play a lot of barre chords).

I've never had problems with strings making my fingers dirty, unless the strings are very old and corroded. Fortunately the crud washes off pretty easily.

Getting beyond my grimey gripe, I thought the strings were ok. The wound strings are supposed to have the special anti-rust coating. Normally I can't stand coated strings, because they feel too tacky, and I can't play as fast on them. I didn't have that problem with these strings. They don't feel like coated strings to me. I got a good two months of hard playing on these strings before they started to sound dull. I think I'm going to put a set of Gibson J200 strings on next, because I've had good luck with them on my other maple body guitars.

• Members

Well, the Yamaha strings had to come off today anyway. One broke. :cry:

Based on the glowing reports from others :facepalm: I bought a couple of sets of Elixir Nanos a while back. I just put a set on the new Yammie.

Those Elixirs tamed the Yammie's brightness alright. Now it sounds like it's stuffed full of towels. BLECH! [ATTACH=CONFIG]343505[/ATTACH]

• Members

I posted a little bit about Yamaha strings a couple months back. I bought a new Yamaha CPX 900 which came with a hang tag proclaiming the benefits of Yamaha's new anti-rust strings. I thought the strings were weird, because all of the corrosion sticks to your hand, not to the strings. It's not just a strange reaction with my body chemistry, because everyone else that's played the guitar for more than a few minutes got crud on their fingers as well. The attached picture shows how my hand looked after playing the new strings for about an hour. (I play a lot of barre chords).

I've never had problems with strings making my fingers dirty, unless the strings are very old and corroded. Fortunately the crud washes off pretty easily.

Getting beyond my grimey gripe, I thought the strings were ok. The wound strings are supposed to have the special anti-rust coating. Normally I can't stand coated strings, because they feel too tacky, and I can't play as fast on them. I didn't have that problem with these strings. They don't feel like coated strings to me. I got a good two months of hard playing on these strings before they started to sound dull. I think I'm going to put a set of Gibson J200 strings on next, because I've had good luck with them on my other maple body guitars.

The black stuff is some type of oil they spray on their strings at the plant. Fast Fret takes it off.

• Members

I noticed the black stuff on the Yamaha strings. It did come right off with a couple of wipes of FastFret.

According to Google, the only places that ever stocked them were overseas.

According to the Yamaha site, they are discontinued. Here is what little dope I found on them;

http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/guitars-basses/fs50bt/?mode=model

They are coated, at least the third through sixth are. Based on the shiny bright brass color, they appear to be 80/20's, but they sounded like PB's.

Archived