1961 Guild M-20

MarkBastable

• Members

A good friend of mine asked me to get an old guitar valued. It's a Guild M-20, and having looked up the serial number, I believe that it was made in 1961. It's in pretty good shape too.

Given the age and the brand, I would have thought it has some value. But I can't find any sales of such a guitar on eBay or anywhere else, so it's difficult to know what's what.

Any views? Experience of similar sales? Anecdotes?

• Members

I just bought a M20 made in China with a truly awesome hard shell case. The guitar is small and wonderful and fit the parameters I was looking for: 1 11/16 nut size and short scale 24.75. Beautiful sound easy to play in my lap. Winner!

• Members

I just bought a M20 made in China with a truly awesome hard shell case. The guitar is small and wonderful and fit the parameters I was looking for: 1 11/16 nut size and short scale 24.75. Beautiful sound easy to play in my lap. Winner!

Congrats! I'm really impressed by the Chinese-made Guilds. I have a GAD-25 that's everything I could want in a all-hog dread.

Now it's time to add something different to my arsenal of dreads, so I've been saving my pennies and hopefully I'll pull the trigger on a M20 before the end of the year.

• Members

I have no idea of the value of that particular model, but as I always caution with old guitars, know how to evaluate any potential problem and what it costs to fix it. If a guitar does not have a particular problem, it is a good idea to say that (and show with measurements or photos) when selling.

The main one, obviously, is neck angle. If it is perfect, tell the world! If it is not, don't hide it. I played a lovely little Guild 12 string in a shop and told the clerk "that will be really nice when it has the neck reset" (a $3-400 repair). She kind of blushed - they knew it needed it.

So, neck angle, frets, structural issues (broken braces, belly, yadda yadda). Normal wear and tear doesn't matter, but if the new owner needs to do a bunch of work he/she should negotiate that with the seller.

• Members

The M20 all hog Guild is an exeptional guitar....I have played a few, never owned one.

I have seen them in excess of $2,000....mind you, in near perfect condition, all original.

I would jump all over one for under $1200. After that, kinda hard to justify spending that kind of money unless you REALLY want a Guild...

I'm a huge Guild fan mind you. But they are very collectable.

• Members

I have an ES335 that I inherited and needed the know its value for insurance purposes. I called one of the techs at American Musical Supply and he referred me to gruhn.com. They know about vintage guitars and can appraise them for you and even sell them for you if you so desire.

Archived