Why record an album?

HarpNinjaMike

• Members

Didn't you get the CD mastered as a whole? Seems like the mastering engineer should have leveled them all out in terms of volume and EQ.
:confused:

Terry D.

Just an FYI - this is where those "curve-stealing" programs can actually come in handy. They're sold on a questionable premise ("Just take the curve off a Dire Straits song, apply it to your song, and you'll sound like Dire Straits!!") but if you've taken something as far as it can go with conventional EQ, dynamics, and levels, this can take you the rest of the way.

I also used this once to get a loop I created to match the timbre of an "illegal" loop I couldn't use because I couldn't get the rights. I took out the old loop, put in the new one, and it occupied the same timbral space. Sometimes technology IS wonderful :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We're not just living in the age of the single. We're living in the age of the FREE single. Though, we're still a long way from being there, the trend is clear. Recorded music should be thought of as being less of a product for profit, and more as a promotional loss-leader.

• Members

There's still good money and great promo in licensing music. Many new artists today "hit" because they got some quirky song of theirs featured in some commercial, film or t.v. show. Who goes to live shows? Millions of people do. The tired-and-true method of hitting the road and building a loyal fan base is still and always will be a viable way to make a decent living with music, and if you're talented and fortunate, you can even make a great living. http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/01/concerted_effort.html

• Members

Admittedly, I'm not everybody and probably a poor representative of even a measurable group of people, but I buy or download albums mostly. Even if I don't listen to it all at once always, or even often, it still represents an artist's work at a point in time. The way I see it is you buy a single if you like songs, you buy an album if you like artists. I'm less interested in the artist that only has one song that grabs me.

• Members

The tired-and-true method of hitting the road and building a loyal fan base is still and always will be a viable way to make a decent living with music,

Have you ever been on an extended tour? If you're a new band, you don't make any money, and you need to sell every CD, T-shirt, and whatever schwag you have to survive.

• Members

Pat is right on. I read in RS an interesting article on the business side of rock of roll...with one estimate that many touring bands are basically being supported by the merchandise. An interesting quote came from the guy behind the table at concerts mentioning that he gets no respect for selling Tshirts for a living, but if it wasn't for him the band wouldn't even be playing out.

• Members

I think if you want to establish yourself as a real music artist you really have to record an album, in some way your first album will establish yourself as a "real and serious" musician and artist. The main focuss on the first album is not to become rich with it bit more the long term benefits, the experience for further recordings and bands, the crudentials etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Personally, I'm hoping the album makes a comeback. I think about some of my favorite albums from the past- The Wall, Operation Mindcrime, The Final Cut, 2112, Quadrophenia.. yes all concept albums. I couldn't imagine any of them being successful if released over several months/years via singles.. it's just not possible. I think it's a valuable asset to general rock in the sense that so many other albums, while not concept albums, still have a conceptual format, meaning all the songs sound like part of a whole, for instance bands like Meatloaf, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Styx, Triumph, Rush, and just about everyone else all created albums that were "whole". Sure there's quite a bit of crap from the 70's and 80's and yes there's the exceptions to the rules, bands who expressed wholly different sounds and styles all over the album, but certainly that was not a commonly successful format.

I think in the world of pop/rock today, we end up with artists who never progress in their writing or sound because they never truly invest 'deeply' into it, they are too busy trying to write the next hit on the back of the last.

Archived