Installed some fine tuners on the Uke

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

What a great idea I didn't come up with (Bob Brozman's ukulele toolkit). I took a couple dried beans and ran them over a triangular file to get a groove in them (actually I used a hack saw as I have no file). Get it close to in tune with the beans in the middle of their play, and slide them towards the tuning machines to make things sharper, or towards the nut to flatten.

I HATE friction tuners, but this has quieted my furies, the absinthe is probably not hurting either.

gettinweird.jpg

• Members

What a great idea! And it's organic, too.

I'll try it on my cheap uke, since I can never get the darn thing in tune as it is.

Not to change the subject TOO much...but, did you catch Piranhaconda on the SyFy channel? As I was watching it (and my wife was groaning ;)), I was thinking "This is a movie Mike would appreciate..."

It's OUR kinda movie! :p

• Members

I love friction tuners. Good ones are great, bad ones are not. Never saw that "remedy" Mike, but thanks for showing it. No bother here fine tuning, but if it works for some of you, cool :thu:! Try PegHeds if you want some fine tuning, 4:1 tuning, look like traditional wooden pegs, lightweight, I've had those on one uke years ago, and would have them on a uke. Google PegHeds.

Friction tuners are an acquired taste I suppose. I've acquired the taste.

I'm a soprano player with ukes ranging from early '20s to custom 2012, all have friction and I love 'em all. Wouldn't bother me to have geared on a tenor size, but so far there's no desire for bigger than a soprano..

• Members

on the SyFy channel? As I was watching it (and my wife was groaning
;)
), I was thinking "This is a movie Mike would appreciate..."

It's OUR kinda movie!
:p

I'm sure I'd love it, but we cut our cable connection, so now I'll have to wait for it to show up on NetFlix.

Archived