Surprisingly pleasant gig last night

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

Here in The Republic, it's been in the triple f'ing digits for almost 3 weeks and yesterday, the Time/Temp sign on the 1st Nat'l Bank indicated it would reach 109F (oh, joy! :eek: )...on the way to the gig, I was informed, literally at the last minute, that they'd decided to have the Anniversary Party outside, as "the guest-list had taken on a life of it's own" (oh, joy! :eek: 2.0)...

Got there and the patrons had built a simple stage area under the biggest fruitless mulberry tree it's ever been my pleasure to behold, 'cause it blocked the sun perfectly, so was CONSIDERABLY cooler than out in the sun, and they'd hooked up a couple 5' tall industrial fans to further keep us cool (the husband quipped "Well, I figured a band called "Too Hot For Snakes" needed a little help on a day like this!").

Another thing that made this gig super-fine was that it involved my favorite rhythm section: Wendy on bass, tuba and backing vocals, Kat on hand percussion, violin, backing vocals (and banjo-mandolin on two numbers), and Tommy Sullivan on drum set. Even though Wendy hadn't worked w/ Kat and myself in several months (due to living in Seattle), their harmonies were on the dot, and Tommy, who's only worked with Kat and myself on a couple gigs (and at those gigs Kat played bass), followed really well! If the video being made has decent sound, I may see if they'll let get a copy for promotional matewrial and put up a tune or two.

We rocked that crowd until 1am, and the patrons were so pleased that, after paying me, they presented each of us w/ a $C-note tip!...and booked us for next year's anniversary party!

Wendy promised she'd be back for that weekend. :thu:

Archived