Guitar Center and Sam Ash

Pitar

• Members

They're 5 miles from each other. I'm going there in a few minutes to see what's up with the Memorial Day offerings. Have a nice day.

While you're there can you check for me to see if the Valentine's Day sales prices are still in effect?

• Members

GC was suppose to be having a big sale this weekend, don't know about Sam Ash but they're probably going to do something as well.

Also, is it just me or does Musician's Friend, Guitar Center and Music123 all seem to be the SAME store with different names?

• Members

GC was suppose to be having a big sale this weekend, don't know about Sam Ash but they're probably going to do something as well.

Also, is it just me or does Musician's Friend, Guitar Center and Music123 all seem to be the SAME store with different names?

Pretty sure they're all owned by the same company that and this site if I'm not mistaken.

I was curiuos about that $9 clip on tuner they've been advertising guessing it's not a snark though.

• Members

They're all the same company, Frank, but I don't know who owns who.

• Members

Okay. I'm back. After much ado and checking, none of the GC people I spoke with could give me any idea why they weren't discounting for Memorial Day. One even said it was kinda unpatriotic. Same games I routinely play on you guys I took to GC. So, brilliance is not at work at GC.

Sam Ash..."you mean Labor Day?"...was the immediate response so it wasn't as much fun as GC. Crazy thing, the employees at SA were much more painted and pierced than at GC so I guess my theory of IQ being negatively proportional to the increase in that stuff is now shattered. I stand corrected.

Yamaha NTX1200R is the holy grail of guitars, BTW. Whatever else you noobs think is better, well, take it from the expert; you're wrong. Now I have to get one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-ntx1200r-acoustic-electric-classical-guitar

• Members

Target owns Guitar center, musiciansfriend, music 123 etc.

I prefer Sam ash, I find the instruments there to be in way better condition. It still has mom and pops feel, I had an issue one time and they transferred me over to the CEO himself just like that, like it was nothing and he resolved it. They're a real store.

• Members

If you are trying to buy gits, they will only tell you the MAP price unless...you get their attention with some $$...flash some cash.

Kinda like going to pawn shops used to be a deal. Since the age of internet, I have found FEW and far between for deals in pawn shops.

GC is the class act here in SW FL...newer/bigger store with recording studio side to it.

• Members

On Thursday I got the 15% Labor Day discount at GC, plus another 5% for reminding them of my history with them. 20% is a good amount off $1500. I've always preferred GC over Sam Ash, and even the local shops.

Target owns Guitar center, musiciansfriend, music 123 etc.

I prefer Sam ash, I find the instruments there to be in way better condition. It still has mom and pops feel, I had an issue one time and they transferred me over to the CEO himself just like that, like it was nothing and he resolved it. They're a real store.

I guess it depends on the area. The two Sam Ash stores in my area treat everybody like {censored} if they want to look at a guitar with intent to buy. Sam Ash has lost a good chunk of my change because of their employees' attitudes.

• Members

Sam Ash keeps the good stuff behind a counter. You have to ask the counter guy to play one of them. After seeing the poor abused guitars at GC, I think it's a damn fine idea.

Whether or not you like this will depend on the attitude of the counter guy you deal with. My last visit to SA was certainly a positive one because the counter guy was on the ball. He knew his stuff, and was ready to help.

• Members

I'm another one who prefers Sam Ash over Guitar Center. My last three significant purchases were all from Sam Ash. I got a little "A" style Ibanez mandolin at Sam Ash because the same model at Guitar Center looked like it had been in the war. And Guitar Center didn't even carrry the Zoom H2 that I got at SA. SA's price, BTW, was $139.95 which was a good $10 less than anyplace else I could find it. Also bought a pretty nice Kamala baritone uke at SA that GC doesn't carry in stock. And, of course, there's also the occasional times I need something for my fiddle........like strings and such. GC doesn't carry that sort of thing either.

Maybe I'm just lucky in that it seems to me that I've always had good dealings with SA. Not the same with GC. The fact that they keep their "good stuff" behind the counter is a very good idea as far as I'm concerned. I've never had to do more than ask to play one of their high end guitars......they're only doing it to keep the shop wear to a minimum and I don't see a thing wrong with that.

• Members

They must both get ripped off judging by the patdown at the door.

Doesn't say much for their clientele.

Thinking about it that check is to verify what is on the receipt is what is going out the door.

Guess they're looking for inside jobs.

• Members

I'm with you, Opa John. Here in Klumbus, GC employs a bunch of metal-heads who know nothing about acoustic instruments and you can hardly get someone into the acoustic room if you want something off the wall... and the corrugated metal is just plain dumb for a wall where guitars are hanging.

• Members

I'm with you, Opa John. Here in Klumbus, GC employs a bunch of metal-heads who know nothing about acoustic instruments and you can hardly get someone into the acoustic room if you want something off the wall... and the corrugated metal is just plain dumb for a wall where guitars are hanging.

Mickey, I hadn't noticed the corrugated metal wall. I'll have to check that out next time. But, you're right about getting some help in the acoustic room. The only reason I really even stop in the place is to see what's hanging on the back wall where the used guitars are usually placed. I've seen some decent deals there, but none I wanted and could also afford at the same time.

One thing I found out about Sam Ash is that their web pricing on strings is different than the prices in the store. I stopped in for some Martin SP light strings (MSP4100) that are priced at $5.49 (+ s/h) on their web site. The actual in store price was $7.89. Since I was buying 3 sets, they gave me a 10% discount so the final price worked out to be the same as if I'd ordered them on line and paid for shipping. Not the first time that's happened to me. Walmart does the same thing on a lot of their items.

• Members

I'm sorry you guys don't get help in the acoustic room. The two guys at my local one are extremely helpful, to me anyway. Every time I'm in, they'll just have a seat and talk about this guitar or those strings or that banjo, then when someone else comes in, they promptly go help them.

Maybe it's because my local one is newer, and the acoustic room has a dedicated counter and everything... The older ones I've been in have a computer in the corner, but no where for employees to sit (not that that is an excuse for poor service).

Archived