How's your posture when playing?

kwakatak

• Members

Tapping for tone, bobbing for apples, whatever.

I think anyone who starts out building will do whatever he's read about being a builder from whomever has published anything on the subject of building. That's a natural. I also think tapping will be an obliged part of the drill. You have to because you are a novice geek and geeks always paint by numbers. They're predictable that way.

The way it works is you tap and have this tone reference. Then you dutifully build a {censored}ty sounding guitar. Unfettered, the next time around you tap again and try to change that tone to prevent building yet another {censored}ty sounding guitar. But, it still sounds {censored}ty. The third build you begin to doubt the tapping stuff and just go with what you learned not to do. You are now rising above geek, good for you. And, the guitar sounds a bit better (or not but let's say this is your 500th guitar build and things are looking up). This time you remember what you did to the top. The next time you do the same thing and hey, it's okay again. The next time you do the same thing only this time you tap the top at that point in the build you would have if you gave a crap about tapping and, hey, this sounds completely different than the last time you tapped five hundred and two guitars back (assume you have a super ear for tone remembering).

Now you have a tapping reference burned into the gray matter and want to build another 10 guitars exactly the same way because they don't sound bad. You've achieved consistent Pac Rim tonal quality. You celebrate, then get back to to work. Now you begin taking this tapping reference seriously and with a good frequency meter begin taking some serious readings. You ensure you are tweaking sound above and below your sonic (happenstance) reference and before long, maybe another 100 guitars, you achieved Samogyi Sonic Self Actualization. Maslow sends his cheers from the beyond and your dog does not hump your leg that day.

Tapping is essential in that it will eventually give the basis for a known decent sounding guitar. But, you gotta know it when you hear it and you won't have that knowledge without gaining it the hard way - you earn it.

• Members

My posture is perfect!.. for a 50 year old ex-stone mason with a broken back. ;)

I don`t really "plant" but more "brush" lightly my pinky/ring finger on the top. I never could get used to the fist position or the way George Benson plays with the pick in his finger tips.. Sure works for him though. When finger picking I use a thumbpick and do several positions depending on the piece.

Usually sit, but in front of a large crowd or with a band I have to stand (painful). One of the reasons I sold my Les Paul. Felt like a boat anchor around my neck.

• Members

I rest the guitar on my right leg or left leg depending on the height of the chair I am sitting on and the size of the guitar.

I never rest or touch the body with my fingers. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if you rest your pinky as long as it doesn't hinder your ability to play. I learned to play on the electric guitar playing hard rock and metal. I felt I picked faster if I keep my pinky off the body. I only rest my hand on the bridge when palm muting.

My forearm rests on the edge/binding of the lower bout.

I learned over the years to keep the back of the guitar away from my body and to concentrate on keeping my forearm on the edge of the guitar and not on the soundboard. I accomplish this by holding the guitar on a slight angle away from my left side (I'm a right handed player). By doing this it allows the guitar to resonate and projected better. Holding the guitar firm against my body and resting my arm on the soundboard muffles the over-all tone of the guitar - it also kills the projection.

My posture sucks - especially when singing. I try to sit up straight when singing. I like the tip above about not touching the back of the chair while sitting and singing. I am going to try that.

Archived