gonna build myself an archtop

meandi

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hi! (first post yay!) i just love this thread, been reading it for a while. i actually dream to build an archtop it is so beautiful. but i would really like to know some dimensions before i begin... i tried to copy my own guitar but its a small regular acoustic... could you please pretty please tell me some dimensions that could help me draw it a little more accurate? i really dont know how i`ll do it to make it look "real"...

are you finished with all the stainning part? im looking forward to see everything finished and maybe hear how it sounds?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Karine

View Post

hi! (first post yay!) i just love this thread, been reading it for a while. i actually dream to build an archtop it is so beautiful. but i would really like to know some dimensions before i begin... i tried to copy my own guitar but its a small regular acoustic... could you please pretty please tell me some dimensions that could help me draw it a little more accurate? i really dont know how i`ll do it to make it look "real"...

are you finished with all the stainning part? im looking forward to see everything finished and maybe hear how it sounds?

The guitar is 25" scale.

Neck joins the body at the 14th fret.

Body dimensions are 20 3/4" from neck to tail, 17" across the lower bout, 10 1/2" across the waist & 12 3/4" across the upper bout.

Sides are 2 5/8".

These dimensions are just the tip of the iceberg though...so many other things you must know to make it come together in a proper manner.

If you seriously want to build one, I would highly reccomend that you invest in Benedetto's dvd set & his book...at the very least, get the book & study the process thoroughly before you begin...it'll save you a lot of grief.

The book & dvd are a culmination of 40 years of building on his part...at that point in his career, he'd made most of his mistakes & corrected them.

Best of luck on your project...any other info I can share, feel free to ask.smile.gif

The staining is complete, but still have to do the topcoats.

I'm in the middle of a neck build on a new guitar for my son, so the archtop is hanging on the wall for a few more days till I get that done.

• Members

thanks! i just started to play guitar but as an artist i thought well i could try to build one hahaha im optimistic... a guitar that could be really mine that look exactly as i dream about... i`ll see what it will end up like!

• Members

hey... what if... instead of a regular round soundhole or f-holes, there was lots of small holes? like bubbles? but not too small, like medium and small one like some bubbles, it would be looking really nice but the sound? would it be really different from a round hole? maybe it already exists?

(sorry to steal your thread with my questions haha)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Karine

View Post

hey... what if... instead of a regular round soundhole or f-holes, there was lots of small holes? like bubbles? but not too small, like medium and small one like some bubbles, it would be looking really nice but the sound? would it be really different from a round hole? maybe it already exists?

(sorry to steal your thread with my questions haha)

You mean like this:

ova1680_-_tan02.jpg

• Members

According to what Benedetto writes in his book, the area of the sound holes,size wise, relative to the size of the body is much more important than the shape.

Based on that, round holes would work as well as ones that are f shaped.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Tung oil curing.

Been missing playing this guitar...I broke it down for finish & then I got involved in the maple bodied build I'm doing & it just hung there on the wall for over a month.

I'm at a point on the maple build that I need to figgure out solutions for a couple of knotty little problems, so while I'm thinking on that & trying a couple of things, I'm going to get this one completely done & get back to PLAYING it!icon_lol.gif

at363.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_stringer

View Post

Well, it's about time! poke.gif

Ya, I know...such an incredable rush to have gotten it to a playable point & then ignore it the way I have...I tend to tunnel vision at times & I've been so deeply focused on this other one...freak.gif

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Galabar

View Post

Bump. wave.gif

wave.gif

Quote Originally Posted by marcellis

View Post

Amazing! I love the back. Mine is much different.

Thanks marcellis.

I'm happy with it, for a first build.

A couple of cosmetic things that I'll do differently on the next one, but the neck plays great & the sound that it produces is so superior to any acoustic I've played before.

Still want to put one more coat of finish on it...I've become involve in another project...a restoration/repair/nitro finish on this...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2311536

I'm setting up a spray area for it & on my maple archtop in the works will be able to do nitro on it as well.icon_lol.gif

Once I get the les paul sprayed & curing, I'm going to get the last coat of tung oil on this one...been missing playing it.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

cool.gificon_lol.gif

Now I feel good about taking it with me to jams & such.

Still needs the truss rod cover & the finger rest...I've been swamped with requests to do outside jobs lately, so I work on this when I get a chance.

But I'm playing it every day!!!

What a rush!

showtell26.jpg

showtell27.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Galabar

View Post

I love the back -- beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp

View Post

The look of the whole neck/headstock assembly too. Lots to love about that guitar!

Thanks guys.

Would have been nice if the spruce had taken the stain as nicely as the mahogany did...

I'm building a spray booth...next one will be nitro.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by meandi

View Post

Thanks Gary.

Ya, I know...that's life.freak.gif

How've you been?

Long time, no talk to.

Hellooooo,

Life has a habit of getting in the way of the fun sometimes, but it's all looking good in your workshop. thumb.gif

I'd been busy pottering in the workshop sorting out a small guitar for my grandson and have taken on some commission inlay work and bits and pieces for my brothers. I got a little carried away using up spare timber and - to put it mildly - the little one won't be needing to buy a guitar until he's 80. facepalm.gif

Lucky the boss (Mrs P) stopped me before I got too carried away or he would've had samples of each Martin body size and no room for toys in his room. I think over zealous sums up my enthusiasm. facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Palmer

View Post

Hellooooo,

Life has a habit of getting in the way of the fun sometimes, but it's all looking good in your workshop. thumb.gif

I'd been busy pottering in the workshop sorting out a small guitar for my grandson and have taken on some commission inlay work and bits and pieces for my brothers. I got a little carried away using up spare timber and - to put it mildly - the little one won't be needing to buy a guitar until he's 80. facepalm.gif

Lucky the boss (Mrs P) stopped me before I got too carried away or he would've had samples of each Martin body size and no room for toys in his room. I think over zealous sums up my enthusiasm. facepalm.gif

icon_lol.gifI understand your enthusiasm over the grandson, I have grandkids myself.

Glad to hear things are going well for you!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Palmer

View Post

Many thanks my friend. Grandkids are great. thumb.gif

How's your pedestal necked guitar coming along?

It's on the back burner for now.

I've got an out of state job that I'm doing that's turning into quite a project.

Also I've been building a spray booth for the shop, so I can shoot some nitro...it's ready to go as soon as I get the exhaust fan & ductwork installed.

Really looking forward to getting back to work on it.

Archived