gonna build myself an archtop

meandi

• Members

i've been wanting to do this for some time.
been studying benedettos book & his 9 hour dvd set which goes through the entire build process for about a year now.
so going to give it a go & see how it turns out.

body shape was drawn on tracing paper laid over full scale engineering drawings for an exact body profile.
at1.jpg

tracing paper was attached to poster paper with double-stick tape, carefully cut with sisors and drawn on plywood blank which will be the mold for bending the sides.
at3.jpg

fresh off the bandsaw...will bring it to final dimension on the spindle sander.
will glue a thin maple shim in the kerf where the saw cut through to get to inside for body shape cut-out.
square corner at upper right will have to be shaped with a rasp carefully to make sure the mold is vertical at that part.
at4.jpg

i'm excited to actually be working on it after so much time studying/thinking about it.
for those of you who find yourselves interested in this type build, enjoy.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm truly looking forward to this. Having just seen some incredible hand built archtops at the GAL convention last week and realizing how incredibly difficult these things are to build, my hat is off to you for trying.

Please document an post a build thread - either as you go or at the end. I, for one will enjoy this completely

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller View Post
I'm truly looking forward to this. Having just seen some incredible hand built archtops at the GAL convention last week and realizing how incredibly difficult these things are to build, my hat is off to you for trying.

Please document an post a build thread - either as you go or at the end. I, for one will enjoy this completely
i've found that posting/sharing my work is a large part of the enjoyment, so
i'll be adding to the thread as it happens.

still have quite a bit of prepratory work to do...carving cradle, for holding top & back securely while working those parts.
i have a dial indicator, so i'm going to build a thickness guage for measuring top/back thickness, as well as a few other fixtures that will simplify & add accuracy to my work...but i thought that aspect of the build might be interesting as well.

• Members

awesome. good luck and i will watch this thread for sure.

did you find (or perhaps already know well) AJC's epic HC thread detailing his archtop construction? he made a great looking guitar in that build.

[subscribes]

• Members

I'll be looking forward to your updates as well. My acoustic archtop is quickly becoming my favorite guitar of all time, and now I might get some insight into how it was built.

Have you built other guitars? You seem fairly well prepared. Best of luck with this.

• Members

Great Project!

Watching your work will be like watching a movie episode by episode, getting more exciting as it progresses. I hope you took some clues from Freeman, and share some of your hardships/mistakes. It makes the whole build project a lot more real and gives us that, "Do we really want to try this ourselves?"
I was going to jump into a project (dred) this past winter and held off watching FK's work and realized the real amount of work and patience it takes. I'm still contemplating building, but having others do it, relieves a lot of my gas to do it and learn in the process...

So....good luck and thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by brahmz118 View Post
I'll be looking forward to your updates as well. My acoustic archtop is quickly becoming my favorite guitar of all time, and now I might get some insight into how it was built.

Have you built other guitars? You seem fairly well prepared. Best of luck with this.
hey brahmz, i forgot to ask you how you are enjoying your Verri and if you have any clips you can share?wave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
awesome. good luck and i will watch this thread for sure.

did you find (or perhaps already know well) AJC's epic HC thread detailing his archtop construction? he made a great looking guitar in that build.

[subscribes]
i followed AJs thread all the way through...he was the inspiration for me to purchase the book & dvd set.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ZURDA View Post
This is one cool project thx for sharing thumb.gif.

Just curious though; do you have a ball park figure of how long it will take you to complete?

Good luck I'm looking forward to your updates.
no previous experience on this type guitar, so no...no time frame at this time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
I think you are going to find out very personally why archtop acoustics are so expensive. It has to be a pile of care and work. Hats off to you.
i think you are correct in your assesment!
interesting, while studying the dvds it is obvious that it is a time intensive craft.
i don't recall that benedetto ever mentioned total time investment in one of his instruments...with the prices he commands, got to be a bunch.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by brahmz118 View Post

i've been tecking for about 10 years now. (links in my sig. to some of my projects)
couple of scratch build solid bodys in the works, although i play almost exclussively acoustic any more, so this one i think is probably going to get the priority for completion.
also did a thread here on the acoustic page last year of an in depth neck job on an old gibson 12 string that's not in the signature.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by C70man View Post
Great Project!

Watching your work will be like watching a movie episode by episode, getting more exciting as it progresses. I hope you took some clues from Freeman, and share some of your hardships/mistakes. It makes the whole build project a lot more real and gives us that, "Do we really want to try this ourselves?"
I was going to jump into a project (dred) this past winter and held off watching FK's work and realized the real amount of work and patience it takes. I'm still contemplating building, but having others do it, relieves a lot of my gas to do it and learn in the process...

So....good luck and thanks!
i promise the truth...i'll show the mistakes along with the rest of it!
hope by much study & attention to the work to keep them to a minimum.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
I'm looking forward to this. thumb.gif What's the little beauty on your work bench Meandi? So cool.gif
it's an old charvell acoustic from '70s/'80s.
belongs to a friend of mine who has had it for ever.
doing a bridge repair, fitting new oversized bridge pins & installing a new b-band electronics system to it.

• Members

wanted to get the neck laminates glued up so the neck blank will have time to cure until time to use it.
turns out i'm out of titebond & no time to go to store today, so it'll wait till tomorrow.
mahogany & maple.
at5.jpg

Archived