thumb.gif

wave.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_stringer

View Post

Stop that! icon_lol.gif

???freak.gifeek.gificon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Palmer

View Post

One idea would be to craft the finger-rest support from either rosewood, or mahogany and blend/sweep it's leading edge by bullnosing the rest:support joint for a more stream-lined appearance.

Yep...I'm lookin at it, scratching my brain...I like the concept from an engineering standpoint, but it needs some shaping to integrate it more into the guitar, rather than looking like an "add-on".

I've got enough of the original macassar to built with that...that will give the appearance of the finger rest & the mount being an intregal unit...& lay it back/round it off on the leading edge, as you suggested, to soften the frontal profile.

If i use mahogany, & stain it to match the guitar, then it looks like a wart on the body.

If I didn't need it to hang a pickup off of & to mount the volumn pot, I probably would not even install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Samilyn

View Post

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread, as always. smile.gif

Glad to hear that, nice to see you again.

---------------------

Turned a front strap button to match the other one.

at350.jpg

at351.jpg

• Members

Rubbed some of the cherry, base color, stain into the neck...love the way it changes color with the transition from side grain to end grain.

at352.jpg

The cherry gives the maple center stripe a very nice glow, which is an amber with a strong red flash.

at353.jpg

The darker walnut on the edges.

at354.jpg

And on the spruce.

at355.jpg

• Members

The spruce didn't take the stain as consistantly & evenly as did the mahogany, although my application techniques were the same.

But the variations in the color are ok with me.

Those of you who remember the photos of my mom's old violin, from earlier in this thread, will recall my statements, at that time, as to my wanting to emulate the finish of an old vintage cello/violin on this guitar.

In that respect, I'm quite pleased with the way it's turning out.

A little more blend work on the sides, & I'll be in to the tung oil topcoats.

at358.jpg

at359.jpg

at360.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen_Insane

View Post

I think it looks great. I am also a fan of the old style violin stains. I like it when guitars admit their imperfections as opposed to trying to hide them. I'm not so familiar with Tung oil finishes, is it going to be polished or a matte finish?

Yea, I'm liking the way it's turning out.

The tung oil I use is a Behlen product that I get from Stew Mac.

The orientials used it for centuries as a preservative/finish on their wood work.

It has no thinners or dryers in the can, but can be cut with mineral spirits for the initial coatings to promote greater penetration into the wood.

I've used it on several necks & it cures to a hard, slick, dry feeling finish which is great to play on.

The more coats used, the greater shine that can be polished into it.

I'm going for a semi-gloss satin sheen type finish on this.

I have another guitar in the works that is maple back & sides rather than mahogany as on this one, it's going to be just the oposite of this one, in that I want it to have a blond hi gloss type finish on it...bright-n-brassy...like a New York doll show girl.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAronow

View Post

Unbelievably beautiful.

Still set against no binding?

I am picturing it with binding and I like what I am imagining.

Looks fantastic the way it is though.

Considering the visual concept I had for this guitar from the begining, I'm still ok with no binding.

The maple body I'm now building will be bound, I'm wanting an entirely different vibe from it however.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_stringer

View Post

It is looking good meandi. Although I agree lightening up the binding would give it more contrast.

My main reason for being so obstinate about the binding on this guitar is that Benedetto's La Venezia is my inspiration for it.

La Venezia is without bindings & finished in what he calls a traditional violin shade.

I morphed from the lighter shadings he uses to the darker colors that I used when I became enamored with the concept of convincingly giving it the appearance of a vintage cello which I have a pic of that is quite dark in it's coloring.

The finger rest mount is pretty much complete.

Being of the same wood, the f.r. & the mount are visually tied together relative to the color of the body.

I also shortened the f.r. so that it ends over the front of the f hole...in the previous photos when I was doing the prototype of the mount, it extended almost to the bridge.

Still need to go to the hdware store & get a few nice screws of the appropriate size.

Blending is mostly done on the sides.

at361.jpg

at362.jpg

Archived