Martin DRS1 vs. Guild D125

Ricochet

• Members

Hey all -

So, I've decided I need (yeah, right rolleyes.gif) a new guitar, interested in your opinions about these two.

I have played the DRS1 a couple of times, both times it has really gotten my attention relative to everything else I played that day. I also like the feel of the neck - it's a good fit for my relatively large hands, and while I don't find the Stratobond to be particularly attractive, it doesn't really bother me, either. Cosmetically, the DRS is basic to the point of dullness, but I'm getting a guitar to play, not look at, and I do prefer a satin finish to gloss. From what I understand, the Fishman system that it has is mediocre, but at this point I'm just playing for myself anyway, so that's not that relevant.

Unfortunately, I can't play the Guild, since nobody locally carries them. I've also had little luck finding any good info online about it, though there are a few videos, and they sound good (as much as you can tell anything from a YouTube vid). I've seen more about the 12-string version of the D125, and it all seems positive. I like the look of the D125 a bit better than the DRS1 (except the gloss top, though that's a minor point). Nut width is the same as the Martin, but Guild's website says the neck shape is 'slim profile', whatever that means. More than once, I have found myself having a hard time getting used to a guitar with a shallower neck profile, so I'm wondering about this one.

The DRS1 is $749, D125 is $529 (both with case).

So, here's what I'm looking for input on:

1) Those of you who have Chinese-built Guilds - what are your thoughts on them - tone, build quality, neck profile?

2) Anyone with a DRS1 or another Martin with a Stratobond neck - what's your take on it?

3) I'm not opposed to the $749 price tag for the DRS1 ... but I find myself asking 'what makes it worth $220 more than the Guild?'

4) If you were going to buy one of these, which one would you pick, and why?

Thanks!!

• Members

Frankly, optics aside, the Martin Stratabond neck is great. It's rock solid and feels like you could use it and abuse it. Same for the Richlite/Micarta fretboard.
I do not have a DRS, but a bit higher up the ladder a D35 and a D40.
But I also have the Guild GAD 25, the predecessor of the D 125.
The Guild ain't too bad. I like it's hog tone, it's solid quality construction,but frankly, the Guild 125 is not as good as te old GAD. The've cut corners at Guild, easily visible when you compare the GAD 25 and the D 125.
If it were to me, I would pick the Martin for "general" work, it's a good guitar that sounds and plays better than the price tag would suggest.
So does the Guild.
But I still prefer the Martin over the Guild.
Only when you're looking for a bluesy/folky sound, then the Guild is a very good deal.
Still,I would rather pick a -15series Martin in favor of the Guild.

If it would be a GAD25, then I would prefer it over the -15 Martin.
But if it's the 125 ... then it's the Martin every day.

• Members

I have the GAD25 as well and I like it. I struggle finding strings to put on it where the B and E don't sound tinny. I am currently using EXPs.

I have never played the DRS1, but have played other Martins in that price range, most with the stratbond neck and liked them.

If this is to be your main guitar, I would rethink your decision to go with a Mahogany top. Yeah they are cool and have a great unique sound. But if I was going to be doing the majority of my playing on it, I would be looking at spruce topped guitars. There are not a lot of spruce topped guitars in that price range that are all solid wood, but if you consider laminate b/s ... that really opens up your options.

• Members

I own a practically new (2012) Martin D-15M and I love it, but I also have other guitars (a Yamaha and another Martin) that have spruce tops. If I could afford only one guitar, I'd prefer it to be a spruce top guitar.

I haven't played the Guild you're looking at, but I have played a DRS1 Martin and, to tell the truth, I wasn't all that impressed with it. At least, the one I played didn't compare with my D-15. It's at a local mom & pop music store that I frequent. I happen to know the owner personally and he goes over every guitar in the place in detail before putting it out on the sales floor. So, I have to assume it was as good as could be.

So, if your heart is set on buying an all mahogany guitar, I think I'd have to say start looking for an almost new Martin D-15M. I got mine, with the OHSC, for just a little more than the Guild you're looking at.

• Members

Thanks, all. Seeing an interesting range of opinions on the DRS1 as I look around online - some really like, some seem very unimpressed. I'm gonna make a trip to a mom & pop that isn't too far away soon that carries Guild & Martin, so I'm hoping I can get hands on a D125 and a D-15 there.

I just play for my own enjoyment, and this wouldn't be my only acoustic. I generally find cedar and mahogany topped guitars to be more to my liking, sound wise (I have two seagulls - an entourage 6 and an S12. The local GC has a Taylor 714 with a cedar top that sounds amazing, but its also $2,700, not happening.

• Members

My daughter in law has a Martin Custom X made in Mexico...spruce top/stratabond neck.....this guitar sounds fantastic. She has had it a couple of years now without any sign of wear....I would own one of these in a heartbeat....they sell new for $499 and also come in 000 and cutaways...one of the best sounding dreds I have ever played....just a thought

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DeepEnd View Post
I'm going to disagree on the D15 and DRS1. IMHO, the GAD is the better deal, based simply on the fact that it has binding, which neither Martin has.
Yep......I agree 100%. It's the main reason I put off buying a D-15 until I ran into a steal of a deal. I've even thought about having binding put on mine, but the cost to do it would be prohibitive. Guitars with no binding require special care to keep the body edges from getting chipped up. I tend to get a little too paranoid about the "looks" of my guitars. The first major ding on any new guitar causes me to lose sleep. I know that's going a little overboard, but that's how I am. Can't change that.

Some people don't seem to care what their guitar looks like. I do.

• Members

I got hands on a D-15 yesterday. I wasn't thrilled by it, though I'm sure the older strings didn't help. I'd say that I actually liked the feel of the DRS' Stratabond neck better, which surprised me. That said, hardly anything I played on yesterday sounded or felt all that good, so I think I was just 'off'. I was pleasantly surprised by an Alvarez AD710ce, especially in light of how everything else I played didn't really click for me.

Archived