best bang for the buck guitar?

wkendhacker

• Members

Depends on what you are looking for.
I feel like there are three distinct "flavors" of guitars, or price/performance or however you want to call that.
In the low-end bracket it's mainly hit and miss. Sub $200 you may or may not strike luck. Consistency is lacking. Sound and playability will be mediocre to acceptable, playability can be fixed with $50 worth of a setup, though.

Up to $500, it has to be Yamaha, (new) Sigma and some Guilds. All are consistent, deliver good quality, decent sound and nice enough playability. To name my favorites: Yamaha FG730S, Sigma DR-Series and Guild GAD-Series. Beware of the new three-digit Guilds. The Guild GAD 25 is much nicer than the Guild 125. If you can test a Tanglewood - try them too.

Beyond $500 the world is your oyster and quality increases vastly up to Martin D35-level. Beyond that, you may pay more for more bling, but not fora better guitar.

• Members

I chose a Seagull Original S6 Solid Cedar top with Laminated wild cherry back and sides. This is a above standard entry level level guitar that many pros keep in their arsenal of instruments. They are well made and attractive enough to catch your attention in the shops. The tone is consistently warm with finger style and with a pick. For a new player the advantage of having a guitar that will stay in tune for more than a few hours without tweaking is a god send. They are readily available but little advertised. I would recommend playing one but also have someone play it for you so you can hear what others will hear. They sell for about $350 new but since they encourage beginners to stay with it, GAS will always creep in so you have a good chance of picking up lightly used S6's for under $300.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gary787

View Post

I chose a Seagull Original S6 Solid Cedar top with Laminated wild cherry back and sides. This is a above standard entry level level guitar that many pros keep in their arsenal of instruments. They are well made and attractive enough to catch your attention in the shops. The tone is consistently warm with finger style and with a pick. For a new player the advantage of having a guitar that will stay in tune for more than a few hours without tweaking is a god send. They are readily available but little advertised. I would recommend playing one but also have someone play it for you so you can hear what others will hear. They sell for about $350 new but since they encourage beginners to stay with it, GAS will always creep in so you have a good chance of picking up lightly used S6's for under $300.

In this dollar range they are very difficult to beat. I got its sister the Cedar 6 for $125.00 in very good condition.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sangemon View Post
If we're talking the $800-$1200 range I'd offer this:

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdeta...m/117244/98278
Just based on my own experience, I'd agree.

The two that came to mind immediately for me are the Yamaha LL6 and the Martin 15 series. I very recently went {censored} broke and sold just about everything - my Gibson acoustics, the custom Martin 000, my Tele. But I held onto the Martin D-15M. My wife insisted on that one staying put, and I was not inclined to argue.

I love the lower-echelon Yamaha LL gits. After briefly owning an LL6, I can't really see the point in paying the extra dough for a 16, but that's just me. The specs and execution on the LL6 are nuts. Just outstanding. And it shows in the tone. I may get another some day.

Archived