Split top

Chordchunker

• Members

Thanks Freeman. I had hoped you would post on here.

My luthier friend specializes in old violins. Not sure if that will help, but he does have like 40 years experience. If it is beyond him I`ll take it to another luthier friend that works on archtop guitars. Looks like a bitch to replace the entire top as it is a weird shape and as you said arched.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sangemon View Post
You've removed the medium strings from the guitar....right???

In fact, you should probably get the string tension off the guitar altogether to avoid more damage.
lol. yes. In fact I gave the store some {censored} for stringing it up that way. Not my first rodeo.wink.gif

• Members

I don't know how much the heavier strings might have contributed. Remember that this is a tailpiece instrument (so called "floating bridge" but the bridge might in fact be glued down). There is no rotational component to the string tension and probably very little shear component - the force the top sees is almost entirely straight down. I once did the calcs on the force on a resonator cone - it was something like 15 pounds with fairly heavy gauge strings - I'll guess that depending on break angle and string tension this might be more like 10 pounds (I'll do the math and post it later). Think of a 10 pound dumbelll sitting on the bridge. Going from very light strings to heavier ones might have increased that to 12 pounds - would that have split the top? I really don't know.

The dome shaped top on any guitar helps counter the downward force (a sphere is much stronger than a flat plate) and the pliage is what creates the dome on a SelMac. Chord, I think the fact that your friend works on violins is a plus - carved topped instruments have a lot in common with your guitar. I would be willing to post some questions and your picture at the lutherie forums, but I think it would be better if your friend did it since he will be doing the repair work.

by the way - sorry about the double post. This forum is getting so buggy that I never know when a response has been registered. Good luck with this - take your time, do the research, get it fixed properly.

Archived