String suggestions, please

JerseyGuy

• Members

I have an Alvarez-Yairi DY-61, a slope-shouldered dread of mahogany and cedar top. It's the first 6-string I ever bought, about 26 years ago, and although I've bought and sold a bunch of guitars, I can't bring myself to part with it. It has a very bright sound, but a little too bright at times. I am wondering if I could find a type of string that would not enhance the brightness. I've tried swapping out heavier versions of the low E and the A, but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions for a type of string that is NOT bright? Thanks.

• Members

Plus one to what DE and Koiwoi have said.   There are two major compositions in acoustic guitar strings are commonly called  80/20 (which is the alloy composition, 80 percent copper) and Phosphor Bronze (PB, 90 percent copper)   Of the two PB's are usually considered to be "warm" while 80/20 are commonly called "bright".   Adding a coating like Elixer Polyweb or Nanoweb (poly is a heavier coating) will mellow the sound a little more..  When brand new strings tend to be a little brighter - old strings mellow some before they completely die.

If PB's aren't warm enough for you try to find a set of Reds (thats all they are called, I don't know the manufacture).   They are something like 99 percent copper and are very warm sounding.   I was given a set but didn't really care for them - went back to PB's which seem to be about right on my guitars.

String gauge (diameter) has very little effect on the tone of the string but does change the loudness slightly.  

Archived