Car wreck (on topic)

Freeman Keller

• Members

In my budding new career as a wanna be luthier I am getting a lot of repair work from my local music shop.  Because I'm still learning and I really don't need to support myself with this, I tend to be pretty reasonable, and because I hate to see a damaged guitar that won't be played, I tend to take on projects that others might not. 

I got a call the other day - a guitar had been in a car that was in a wreck.   It had a large crack between the side and back (and binding was missing), a couple of holes in the side and some small cracks in the top.   The problem was, this was a '80's Takamine 12 string that really wan't in great shape to start with - but they wanted an estimate.   I told them that I could make it structurally sound (but not cosmetically) for about 8 hours of labor, but pointed out that it badly needed a neck reset,

IMG\_1343.JPG

as well as a fret job.

IMG\_1298.JPG

I figured there was no way they would do the work and forgot about it.   Apparently the combination of insurance and maybe some drama (it seems the guitar had been borrowed and was not owned by the person whose car was wrecked...).   They said "do it"

Since it was a liminated top and the cracks did not go all the way thru all I did there was wick some thin superglue into the cracks to stabilize them, scrape them back and polish.

IMG\_1294.JPG

IMG\_1344.JPG

The crack was about 6 inches long and ran along the back kerfing

IMG\_1300.JPG

It closed readily with medium superglue which both wicks into small cracks but also bonds to the old glue which I couldn't clean up.

IMG\_1340.JPG

Binding was glued in place and scraped flush with the sides, back and old binding

IMG\_1342.JPG

Because the old lacquer finish had aged to a nice yellow color I sprayed a coat of lacquer with a couple of drops of vintage amber dye, then shot three more coats of clear.  It doesn't quite match bot thats the best I can do.

IMG\_1346.JPG

There were two holes in the side on the upper bout - when I looked inside I found that the laminated side was badly splintered.   I made a patch out of some rosewood to fit the curve and the kerfing

IMG\_1338.JPG

but gluing it in was going to be a problem - how to clamp it while the glue dried (I wanted to use Titebond).   I have the little rare earth magnets that are really powerful - taped one to the patch and put the other on the outside - worked like a charm.

IMG\_1339.JPG

Patched the holes with some rosewood scraps and dust - unfortunately it came out darker that I wanted.   If I was to do it again I think I would drill some flat bottom holes with Forstner bits and make a round rosewood plug.   Oh well, I said it would be structurally sound but not beautiful.

IMG\_1345.JPG

Cleaned the old girl up as best I could, polished it slightly (on an old guitar like this you don't want to do too much), restrung and returned it to the owner.   I could only charge them for 6 hours of labor even tho I've got a whole lot more in it.   Still needs a reset and frets, but at least its back to making music as it was meant to be.

ps - the guitar was the worst hurt in the crash, thank goodness.

Archived