Strat authentic vs. copy

bluelizardman

• Members

Originally posted by Chris Gansz

WOW! LaXu - what is that Str#t? It's a beauty - and where did you get it? How much? How does it sound/feel?

It's a Morgan strat. I think they're only sold in Scandinavia, made in Korea for a Norwegian company. Got mine new for slightly under 300

• Members

You want to try any Fender before you buy. Some are much better than others.

I played a very good Tokai the other week. At least the equal of most American series Fenders I have played and probably a bit better, and much cheaper. It wasn't as good as my 62 reissue though. I don't know if all Tokais are this good though.

Al

• Members

Play every strat or strat type you can get your hands on. I played a bunch of mim,mik Fenders. Some felt good , some didn't. I finally bought a Dean mik strat. I took a chance on it because I got it from e-bay. I very happy with it, its a great guitar for me. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Chris Gansz

WOW! LaXu - what is that Str#t? It's a beauty - and where did you get it? How much? How does it sound/feel?

THat one is definitely a beauty ...love the wood grain look on it.

GASSing for one of those ..

• Members

My first guitar was a Korean Squier strat that I bought for $200 because that was all I could afford, and I had just begun playing guitar. The whole time I had that thing I knew I wanted something better. The frets were too small for my taste and the stock pickups (which I later swapped for Lace Sensors) sucked. Between the time I bought that guitar and my current Fender strat Ultra back in '95 I tried out several guitars from several different manufacturers. But the strat I bought in '95 (and I still have it and play it all the time) is the one that spoke to me. I had to have that guitar. I put it on layaway, and saved up my money. I've have never regretted that purchase.

On the other hand I did by my ESP online sight unseen and untried at Music123.com, and I was completely happy, in fact I was ecstactic over my purchase. To this day I do not regret that purchase either.

BTW if you get the Fender I'd recommend one of the deluxe series. That S-1 switching thing is really cool, and really adds to the already inherent flexibility of the strat. I'm kinda GASsing for one myself.:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

You really need to play a bunch of different 'strats and find one that, as they say, "speaks to you".. Don't fall into a trap and just purchase a guitar based upon the name on the headstock.

i whole heartedly agree. thats for me...

• Members

Originally posted by alwebber

You want to try any Fender before you buy. Some are much better than others.

I played a very good Tokai the other week. At least the equal of most American series Fenders I have played and probably a bit better, and much cheaper. It wasn't as good as my 62 reissue though. I don't know if all Tokais are this good though.

Al

In my experience, Tokai's QC is very consistent. The MIJ Tokais are at least as good as the MIJ Fenders, and here in the UK anyhow come in at just under the price of the MIM fenders. If i was in the market for a new Strat right now, I'd be looking at:

Fender - MIA, MIM, MIJ & the Lite Ash MIK models

Squier - standard series (some of these are almost too good for Fender's own good)

Tokai

Blade - the "blade" logo looks a bit out of place, IMHO, on a trad Strat, but again for MIM Fender money or less, a very classy MIJ guitar with some interesting active electronics as an option as well (Texas Standard, i think it is)

G&L - MIJ (/K?) Tribute, MIA

for the kinds of money you're talking, if i was really looking at a standard US Strat again, I'd actually be inclined to call Gordon Smith - www.gordonsmithguitars.com - for around the same money in the UK as a MIA Fender STD, their hand-crafted take on the strat is a really nice animal.

• Members

Originally posted by bluelizardman

If you had the money ($1000) would you buy a real stratocaster, or buy a copy? I want to get a guitar that doesn't go out of tune often, has good action, and has a variety of tones bell/ chime tones. I currently own a US Fat Tele, 2000, and a Gibson SG standard, 2003. I have played a US Strat which was a rosewood with standard? pickups which was nice. I have heard I can buy a very nice non fender copy that will have great action and feel, as well as tone that is as good if not better than a Fender. I wondered if any one has experience in this.

I'd buy a copy, then take the rest of the money and piss it up the wall....

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

In my experience, Tokai's QC is very consistent. The MIJ Tokais are at least as good as the MIJ Fenders, and here in the UK anyhow come in at just under the price of the MIM fenders. If i was in the market for a new Strat right now, I'd be looking at:

Fender - MIA, MIM, MIJ & the Lite Ash MIK models

Squier - standard series (some of these are almost too good for Fender's own good)

Tokai

Blade - the "blade" logo looks a bit out of place, IMHO, on a trad Strat, but again for MIM Fender money or less, a very classy MIJ guitar with some interesting active electronics as an option as well (Texas Standard, i think it is)

G&L - MIJ (/K?) Tribute, MIA

for the kinds of money you're talking, if i was really looking at a standard US Strat again, I'd actually be inclined to call Gordon Smith -
www.gordonsmithguitars.com
- for around the same money in the UK as a MIA Fender STD, their hand-crafted take on the strat is a really nice animal.

The new MIM Strats ARE surprisingly good. I currently own a "Special Edition" (have yet to see it in a catalog tho') MIM

with an anodized pickguard, black knobs and pickup covers in a candy apple red finish. I also have a purple Squire Strat and a MIJ

reissue of a '68 Strat with the big headstock and a maple neck.

they are all good to me. The BEST though, is by far the MIJ!

Archived