Wiring the tone on a strat for the bridge pup

guitardustin

• Members

Originally posted by guitardustin

Does anybody have a fairly simple diagram for wiring the tone control on a strat to the bridge pickup? I don't know what order I want, i just want to control the tone for all three pickups

Thanks,

Dustin

I believe that there is a diagram at ProjectGuitar.com. It's under rewiring a Strat or something. Look in the tutorial section. It's actually quite simple. All you do is jump a small wire from the empty terminal to the terminal that connects to the middle pickup tone pot...or something like that. Find the diagram.

• Members

originally posted by Bmajor

Is that capacitor really necessary?

No it's not necessary. I tried it in my MIM Std Strat and the bridge pup sounded horrible and unnatural as the tone was turned down. The cap doesn't affect the sound while the tone is on "10" but on "1" it was really weird. Too much high end still coming through or something. I would recommend just using a short jumper wire instead of the cap. That's what I ended up doing and I'm happy with it!

• Members

Interesting...last night I did the exact opposite to one of my strats. It had that TBX tone control that controlled both the bridge and middle pickups, so I swapped it for a regular tone pot and wired it to only control the middle.

• Members

i tried a wiring i found on the net a few years ago where it allowed the middle tone knob to control the bridge. it seemed to suck the life out of my bridge pup! i hated it. it really weakened the overall character

also, if you turn down the volume knob the bridge pickup will also roll the tone down a little (with most strats). whenever i find the bridge too bright usually a slight drop on the volume knob puts things where they should be.

also, you could always buy a good EQ pedal and step on it when you want the bridge tone to change.

• Members

So far, I've been happy with the stock pups and wiring. I guess I'm really "old school". Hendrix's and SRV's tones were always enough for me. If I want a Les Paul sound, I don't try to get it out of a Strat. I get it out of a Les Paul Standard.

For me, I guess there will never be a "one guitar does it all" kind of thing.

When I want the Strat bridge sound, all I want is TREBLE! And not really that often. I get hung up on the rich middle and neck sounds. Those tones don't come from a Les Paul Standard! Deluxes come close.

It's seems one guitar just isn't enough. But you knew that already anyhow! Right?;)

Archived