... a Yamaha SG-2000 article....

Paul Buerk

• Members
Originally posted by Paul Buerk

I love these guitars. Vintage Guitar did a feature on them, which you can read
here.

I tried finding one of these at the Dallas Guitar Show, but no luck. So far I haven't found any listed in VG either.

The word has been out for awhile on the Yamaha SG and SBG series of guitars.

That's why they go for rediculous prices on Ebay these days. :(

On the upside, the Yamaha AES-620 is a great alternative that can be had at a reasonable price. :)

• Members

What the article doesn't mention is that the SG-2000 (and SG-3000) are still available, although only in Japan. Of course, those won't be vintage but I wouldn't be surprised if they were just as good..Yamaha still makes great guitars. You can order one through Ishibashi.

• Members

just got this little SG 30 mentioned in the article. It was real dirty but cleaned up nicely and plays great. Got it for $130.oo US and it satisfied my SG gas.....theres an SG 1000 in the local pawn shop for $650.oo...so I`m happy with mine.

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

just got this little SG 30 mentioned in the article. It was real dirty but cleaned up nicely and plays great. Got it for $130.oo US and it satisfied my SG gas.....theres an SG 1000 in the local pawn shop for $650.oo...so I`m happy with mine.

The article says yours is the SG-35.

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

i totally love that soooooo much!

• Members

HEY...I posted before having my morning coffee....OK?
I`m back from work now and had a couple of coffees today so....
After playing mine for a short time I did notice how much it sustains as well...and it even has a bit of a gap at the neck pocket on one side, which is to be expected I guess since it`s 30+ years old. It`s really light and that was not the case with some of the other SGs I`ve played.
heaven.....I`m in heaven...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a black SG1200s which I've had since '86. Played many gigs with it. Then I got a 91 LP and that became my 'main' with the Yam as the spare.

The Yam is easier to play but the LP sounds a touch better when playing through a Marshall JCM900.

I have some EMGs on order (the ZW set) to beef up the sound of the Yam. According to the article it has the Alnico pu's. However, now everyone considers these guitars 'vintage classics' I'm not sure i should do that anymore. Advice please. Has anyone else fitted other pickups to their SG's with a pleasing result?

Archived