do Gibson's copyrights not extend beyond US borders?

dougbeens

• Members

I'm curious...

We always see these "perfect" copies of Gibsons (esp. the Les Paul) from Tokai, which of course is made in Japan, or sometimes Korea...

...and it seems that the only easy way for Americans to order these Japanese Tokai copies is eBay it from Japan, or in most cases, from Canadian Tokai dealers...

so how is this happening? is Gibson not able to enforce its copyright outside of US borders?

(any experts on copyright laws and patents around here?)

• Members

A number of foreign countries honor US copyright/patent, but number don't. Also, not every country's notion of what can by protected is the same. The US has substantially liberaized such protection in the last 30 years to cover thing that never could have been covered before, and a lot of other countries have NOT followed suit.

BTW, you cannot copyright a guitar. You could copyright a plan or patent a design or establish a trademark, but copyright extends to written works.

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Park

So is the design, but that's not stopping them...

No.

The name is a trademark in virtually all countries, but the design is not. I'd suggest the recognition of the outline of a guitar as being a trademark is unique to the US.

At least, AFAIK.

• Members

If a company is doing business in the U.S. (like selling their goods), then, YES, trademark, copyright, and patent laws apply. This applies to eBay sellers also. Rickenbacker has successfully halted sales of copies of their guitars on eBay.

• Members

you answered the question yourself... because we do see so many precise copies of both MIA big two, they can`t control copyright outside the US... just don`t try to import any of those copies to sell in shops without permission though. As is well known, many players buy copies on line but that is different from importing to sell... correct me if I`m wrong you business majors.

• Members

sigh...

American law and international treaty are not synonymous. That's why Gibson's whine goes unheeded outside of the states.

Gibson can kiss my ass for all the belly-aching they do in American courts. :mad:

Archived