How to brighten up my LP

Sparky6string

• Members

Originally posted by MarshallTim

Pick very close to the bridge...

Seriously though, different pickups would probably help a great deal. What kind are in there now?

That may be it. It has the Burny VH1s in there, and equalized I love their tone. Very PAF. Been thinking about throwing some Burstbucker Pros in there though.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

Strange. Most traditional LPs are pretty bright. Are you sure it's your guitar and not your amp? Try a treble booster stomp box.

I put these caps on one of my LP Classics. It brightened it up slightly.

I'm sure it's the guitar since it's just as dark through any amp I play through. Thing is, it might sound just like it's supposed to, but my preference may have shifted to a brighter sound.

The treble booster is a great idea. I'll probably change out the caps too.

• Members

Originally posted by TheBoatCanDream

What material is the bridge?

The bridge and stopbar tail piece are aluminum.

I'll try lowering the pickups too, but I don't think they're that high.

All these ideas together are probably what I need. Thanks everyone.

• Members

You know, I have recently been thinking the same about my PRS Custom. It's just too middly and dark to get a clean sound that I like.

Depending on whether or not it's brighter clean sounds or brighter dirty sounds you're after, you might want to consider installing a Push/Pull switch for coil-tapping. The PRS has coil-tapping and the 'inside coils of both pickups' position is brighter and more transparent than either of the humbuckers alone - but it'll never give you the punch and presence of a real single coil (assuming that's what you're after).

Alternatively, you might want to consider fitting the DiMarzio Eric Johnson (EJ custom) humbuckers. I'm very tempted to give them a try. Here's the blurb from the DiMarzio site:

Although Eric Johnson is best known as a Strat

• Members

Originally posted by Sparky6string

That may be it. It has the Burny VH1s in there, and equalized I love their tone. Very PAF. Been thinking about throwing some Burstbucker Pros in there though.

Original PAF's are much brighter than most people think. Go to a vintage shop and ask to play an old ES175, 335, or something similar. I haven't seen any 58--60 LPs in the L.A. vintage shops lately, but I played an LP Custom with PAFs recently, and it was much brighter than I would have thought. The writers for Vintage Guitar also commented on the brightness of the originals in a PAF Clone roundup several months back.

I have BB Pros on one of my LP Classics. I used it for a gig last Sunday afternoon (usually I prefer my other LPs with with 57 Classics). I was surprised at how well they blend with the other instruments in our band, especially when played clean thru my Orange AD-15. Very chimey and bell-like. I videotaped the gig, and I'll try to get a clip processed later today.

• Members
Originally posted by Richard Guy

Try lowering your pickup height a bit. The pickups could be 'hot' and creating a muddy sound since they could be too high. Picking towards the bridge can help too.

Exactly what I was going to say. One would think that would be the first thing you'd try. And possibly lower the bass side a little more than the treble,if need be.

• Members

I put these caps on one of my LP Classics. It brightened it up slightly.

That was my thought.

Different capacitor.

But, a pickup change may help considerably.

Not just for tone.

But for more dynamics, sustain, and clarity as well.

I didn't care for the stock pickups in my Diodati 59Q.

The were a vintage PAF replica. Gotoh I believe.

Who tend to make most of the pickups you find in Japan replica guitars.

Anyways, they were dull, no dynamics, no sustain.

Just had a blah even tone. Flat sounding.

I put the Carvin H22n/C22b combo in it.

Made a huge difference.

I got dynamics, sustain, and clarity now.

Much more full sounding.

So, if you have a favorite brand of pickup, maybe swap the Burny pickups out for those.

Another set I like is the Duncan Jazz/JB combo. I have that in my Fernandes Ravelle.

I'm surprised Fernandes doesn't put Duncans in the Burny line as well.

Kent

• Members

Very chimey and bell-like.

That sounds exactly like what I'm after. The thing I like about my Deluxe's mini humbuckers more than full sized hums is the chimeyness! Love that sound...

Of course it still has to sound like a LP when driven.

• Members

Of course it still has to sound like a LP when driven.

Don't worry. The Alnico 5 magnets easily get my LP into the drive zone with mucho gusto and creamy smoothness--I have to back off on the tone controls a bit with my Marshall and THD.

• Members

The drawing is very nice. Early Telecasters had a very close circuit. You could just put a .001 cap across the signal legs of the volume pot for the same effect. Here is how it works;

As you turn down the volume of the guitar, you will not loose highs with this circuit installed.

If you are saying that your guitar sounds dull/muddy with the tone and volume controls maxed, there is a different issue to deal with.

• Members

All the way around?

Yes, and NOS Bumble Bee caps, 50's wiring. With the BB 1&2, it sound bright yet powerful. Good pinch harmonics. Not "beaming and harsh" like my 100% stock 2002 LP Std with BB Pros.

Archived