Mixing with at-the-ready verbs & delays

• Members

Very nice new locale Phil!

I've been reading many articles on mixing such as Mix Masters by Maureen Droney & The Mixing Engineers Handbook by Bobby Owsinski...both excellent!

My query is regarding a common idea of setting up various at-the-ready verbs & delays to bus to at a moments notice while mixing...plug-ins in particular.

I have templates set-up in PTLE, but have yet to create Aux Tracks with the aforementioned plugs.

So my question is, what kind & how many verbs & delays do you have set up ready to go before a mix is started?

Thanks,

Jim

• Members

My template (in Sonar, but it could work in any software) includes three effects busses:

Lush, long hall verb (UAD Dreamverb usually)

Thick, dense room verb (Lexicon Pantheon or UAD Realverb)

Temp-synched Dual Delay (UAD DM-1 [manually tempo-synched...] or Kjerhus (sp?) Classic Delay, delay times to the eighth note, quarter note, whole note, etc., depending on the song)

Often the snare gets its own dense verb with a taste of the bus room verb. Lead vocal might get its own short delay to grab attention. Etc.

I vary things, depending on the song and what we're shooting for.

I use templates, but I usually don't pre-assign effects or verbs in the DAW software that get used on "everything", although I tend to use certain things more than others. My board (a Yamaha 01V96) does usually have some effects pre-assigned.

For example, many songs will utilize a predelay or early reflection type effect, and I'll frequently use a room reverb of one sort or another. Those are usually onboard effects on the Yamaha... that and maybe a plate verb... which makes giving the artist some ambience in the cans while tracking very easy. I do my cue mixes via aux sends (also pre-assigned) on the Yamaha, and I can easily add verb to the cans that the artist(s) can hear but that doesn't get tracked.

I really like the ER in the Yamaha, and the room verb is pretty good too. The Yamaha add on (optional) effects packages for the new digital boards are also very good and I really like the tape deck sim and the SPX2000 based reverb programs.

As far as plug in verbs, the Waves stuff is pretty good... RenVerb works well for me, and I like Trueverb on guitars sometimes. Even Dverb gets used around here occasionally. And the Waves IR-1 is a very cool sounding verb IMO.

I also use outboard effects processors... and to avoid latency issues, those are usually patched in via aux sends / returns on the Yamaha. Like the software plug ins, those are usually patched in on an "as needed" basis.

For me, having something you can pull up quickly while tracking for a "confidence verb" is pretty important... if the artist wants some verb in the cans, I want to be able to provide it quickly without having to break the flow and the vibe. But outside of a few basic things like that, I like to pull up what I want on an "as needed" basis - especially for mixing. YMMV of course, but to me, the trick is to find a system that works for you and allows you to work quickly and efficiently, but that doesn't put you into a rut where you just use the same things all the time on every song.

• Members

I always keep at least one reverb on an aux track during the tracking stage for instant access because vocalists demand it. It's a non-destructive process, and the latency is inconsequential when set up on an aux track (any latency on the wet signal only will basically sound just like pre-delay).

I usually have a hall setting with a medium decay ready to go, because that's familiar and comforting for most vocalists. I'll swap it out for whatever is more appropriate during the mixing stage.

I always have several free tracks for vocals ready to go, all with the reverb already bussed. I could just use playlists or record over previous takes, but stacking multiple tracks is easier for me when it comes to comping.

Archived