Boston Guitarist Tom Sholtz

The REAL Rocker

• Members
Originally posted by The REAL Rocker

Does Tom Sholtz from the band Boston have a website he can be reached at, and does anyone know what it is?....................The REAL Rocker.

-----------Great, can you answer the question or not? If you can't, run along.................The REAL Rocker

• Members
Originally posted by tiger roach

:D

I meant the Boston guy. He has dealt with stalkers before.

----------I'm only interested in asking him some questions about Rockman Products, so he hasn't anything to fear from me. Now, anyone know whether his website is?.......................The REAL Rocker.

• Members

He may direct you to Dunlop, since that is who he sold the company to.

Last I heard they will service Rockman and even old MXR stuff.

I'm sure, being the guitarist for Boston, ttoommymy schoollttzzyy has better things to do than answer customer service e-mails for products he made 20 years ago.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by BC Powder

If you get ahold of him, ask him how he got that sucky overprocessed tone on those Boston records.

That "sucky overprocessed tone" as you call it still holds the record as being the #2 best selling debut album of all time. (Only Whitney Houston's debut album sold more copies in its first month.)

I wish I could come up with a tone that bad--which would cause people to flock to their nearest music store in droves.... :)

• Members

Originally posted by LesStrater

That "sucky overprocessed tone" as you call it still holds the record as being the #2 best selling debut album of all time. (Only Whitney Houston's debut album sold more copies in its first month.)

I wish I could come up with a tone that bad--which would cause people to flock to their nearest music store in droves....
:)

Oh, I know.

That's exactly why I dive for the radio buttons whenever a Boston song comes on. I can stand to hear something only so many times over 30 years.

• Members

All that Rockman gear kept Tom afloat while the label was suing him for being anal compulsive and taking years to produce albums.....he ran WWWWAAYYYY over budget and deadlines.

Personally I think Boston defined the term overproduced. The guitars are way too syrupy for my taste. I know they were popular, but so are McDonald's hamburgers.

We used to refer to it as: "Jock Rock."

But enough of my blither........

Ever heard the story of how Tom upstaged VH in their early days by playing "Eruption" as an encore right before EVH was about to start their set? A very fugly situation with an enraged Eddie tearing the backstage apart looking for Scholtz.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Did you know that even if you didn't sign every post,we'd still know it was you?

Yeah, and if you want to sign your name it'd be much less annoying for you to use your real name or nickname... Maybe you should try keeping it simple...

ie.

-Tim

Learning how to spell would help, too.

• Members

Originally posted by Sun Devil

Ever heard the story of how Tom upstaged VH in their early days by playing "Eruption" as an encore right before EVH was about to start their set? A very fugly situation with an enraged Eddie tearing the backstage apart looking for Scholtz.

Hah! That's good, I never heard that.

Back in the 60s George Jones and Buck Owens used to tour together and there was a running battle over who would play first, with Buck insisting that Jones play first always, and Jones wanting to alternate (both guys were at about the same level of popularity, of course).

One night Jones and the Jones Boys came out and played the ENTIRE Buckaroos set, in sequence, then on their way out Jones told Buck, "You're on".

They alternated from that point on.

• Members
Originally posted by Sun Devil

All that Rockman gear kept Tom afloat while the label was suing him for being anal compulsive and taking years to produce albums.....he ran WWWWAAYYYY over budget and deadlines.

Personally I think Boston defined the term overproduced. The guitars are way too syrupy for my taste. I know they were popular, but so are McDonald's hamburgers.

We used to refer to it as: "Jock Rock."

What would Eddie have done if he had found him? Eddie is 5' 6" and Tom is 6'6".

• Members

Originally posted by harold heckuba

What would Eddie have done if he had found him? Eddie is 5' 6" and Tom is 6'6".

No doubt Eddie gains a couple feet when he's wearing his "drinking glasses"......

Hard to tell though;this was way back in the early days of VH.

• Members

Originally posted by choklitlove

i love boston and i loved boston's guitar tones. didn't he build a lot of the electronics and stuff he used? effects, maybe amps, etc?

Yes, Tom started out with the Power Soak and the Rockman headphone amp first. This was because he hated recording with his Marshall's dimed all the time - (which is the only way he got the tone he wanted).

Then when Sholz Research and Development was built, they designed and marketed a bunch of stuff to a) produce the sound that Tom wanted, and b) to compete with other stuff on the market at the time.

To this day, since the Third Stage album, nearly everything on stage and studio for bass and guitar is Rockman gear - not a tube in the house.

Archived