What nut to put in my guitar?

jakalope1321

• Members

So here's the deal, I just got my guitar back from the guitar shop recently. I got a Graphtech Graphite Nut put in my Fender Stratocaster to fit string guages 11-50. The problem is I was playing with it today and found little pieces of tissue that u can't really see under the G and D strings at the nut. I took them out and tune the guitar back up and found out that when hit an open D or G its fret buzzes. Did they file the nut down too much? I checked the string height from the bridge and my neck is not bowing or anything. I took it back and said they wouldn't give a refund because i already took it home. So now I'm ready to buy another Graphite nut and have it set up for 11-50 gauges. Does graphtech offer a Graphite Fender Pre-Slotted nut to fit 11-50? Or any other suggestions on another nut? How are the Earvana compensating nuts?

• Members

It definitely sounds like the slots are cut too low. For a quick check, if you fret the strings between the 2nd and 3rd fret, you should be able to slip a piece of paper between the string and the 1st fret.

If you want to measure it with a feeler guage, the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 1st fret for a typical Strat setup should be about .012" on the treble side, and about.018" on the bass side (SRV's setup). This is measured without fretting the strings.

For a pretty standard nut slot repair (quick and dirty), add a little baking soda with super glue to give it some grit. Put in on a little bit at a time with a toothpick. After it hardens, you can slot as needed. Works like a champ.

It's worth it to have a set of nut files. Even though they'll set you back a little, they'll last a lifetime.

Also, you might want to pickup Dan Erlwine's book, "How to Make your Electric Guitar Play Great!" This book should be standard issue with a new guitar. This book eliminates the need for taking your guitar in for typical setups.

• Members

Thanks a lot ECfan for the tips. Cool, so now i know for sure that they are cut too low, I think I'm just going to get another replacement nut. I never have tried the super glue and baking soda trick and i don't want to take a chance lol. Should I go with an Earvana nut or a graphite one? Should I take my business elsewhere to get it filed and put on. The guys here charged me $60 to file it and get it put on AND they screwed up. Any suggestions?

• Members

Sorry for my last post, that was a worthless reply.

If i was you ide take pictures of that sloppy work and then tell where the repair was done. If you spent $60. for them to cut the slots to deep then put tissue in there they are not worthy luthiers. You could raise the whole nut putting a strip of credit card ot somthing under the nut to raise it up.

When you took the tissue out was it under all the strings? or just one or 2 of em? Thats a jerry rig way of fixing it and its not worth $60. You should of taken pictures right away when you seen the tissue. That place sucks if they dont back up their work. "you already took it home" that sounds like a push off to me.

How were you to know it was fixed correctly if you didnt take it home and inspect it good.

• Members

Are you sure the slots are cut too deep? Particularly graphite nuts will rattle if they are not cut properly. There should be a gradual taper towards the headstock. Check it out and definitely do not take the instrument back to that shop if they don't stand behind their work.

• Members

Yeah! They are dicks! But, the thing is they glued the nut down so i can't slip something in, i dont know how to get the glue out but to melt it and once again i dont want to mess it up. So i have just decided to suck it up and buy a new nut take it to another recommended place to get it installed. Do you guys know any good luthier places in the San Francisco area to get the guitar nut installed?

• Members

This is the most disturbing thing that I have read on this forum in awhile. It sounds like somthing that a total amateur would do, and I think that your local troubleshooter (tommartino.com) should go over there and kick the asses of everyone that works for that company.

• Members

Let me see if has this right. You paid them to put in new nut. They did so and proceeded to file slots too deep. Which they then decided to cover up with bits of tissue stuffed under strings. You discover this after gets it home. And they say wont refund you for their lousy work & cover up of that lousy work since you didnt discover it till got it home?

If so, if you used credit card, contest the charges. And broadcast the stores name & location near & far so others now to stayaway from that stores repair dept. Thats just purpseful screwing customer over and purpseful trying to hide bad work done.

• Members

Tell them that you know they screwed up the nut and that they defrauded you by willfully hiding their mistake with the tissue, and that, considering the unacceptable quality of their faulty work, this "too bad- you've taken it home policy" is nothing but a pre-meditated way to defraud consumers when they know that they've done faulty work.

Also, the service you paid for was not delivered as advertised- that is false advertising, which is also illegal.

Tell them that you will file a complaint with the attorney general's office if you are not given a full refund immediately.

That should get their attention.

http://caag.state.ca.us/consumers/index.htm

• Members

Get a slipstone nut. If you take it to another tech, have them fill out some paper work that it is indeed messed up. Have them give you some detailed info on whats wrong with it. Then take it back to the first store when they are buisy and get real loud with em. Atleast if they dont refund your money or somthing the other customers in the store will atleast know not to have them do any work there. Make sure you remind em that if there isnt any problem with it why is the new tech doing these new repairs.

Maybe call around to other guitar repair places in the area and ask them who does their work. Try and find the person who does the most work.

I had some really crap work done at a local music store and i wound up going to a different guy. They refunded some of my money but i still lost abotu $60.

The music store was Bentley music in parkville missouri. I havnt been back there since.

• Members

Originally posted by JetCityMatt

Tell them that you know they screwed up the nut and that they defrauded you by willfully hiding their mistake with the tissue, and that, considering the unacceptable quality of their faulty work, this "too bad- you've taken it home policy" is nothing but a pre-meditated way to defraud consumers when they know that they've done faulty work.

Also, the service you paid for was not delivered as advertised- that is false advertising, which is also illegal.

Tell them that you will file a complaint with the attorney general's office if you are not given a full refund immediately.

That should get their attention.

It's not an entirely uncommon practice to do something like that when the slots have been filed too deep and it's not a top notch shop. I replaced the nut on an Ibanez acoustic a little while back that had tin foil jammed into a slot and a matchbook shim under the nut because it was too low (and it was still too low with the matchbook shim)....this was done by a tech working out of a local shop.

I would definitly go back and point the problems with the nut they installed and request a refund....I sure wouldn't want to give them a second shot.

• Members

I really like Graph Tech's products. Their nuts and saddles are on a lot of my guitars... However I like a good bone nut too. It doesn't really matter what kind of nut you have if some jackass puts it in though. I suggest a Graph Tech Trem-Nut, or a good bone nut.

• Members

Nope it should fit fine. Just make sure you get the retrofit nut, not the OEM one. And also check what radius the fretboard is, then just order. You can even install it yourself, but I'd get a good tech to do it.

Those other guys who screwed you in the first place, man, that's baaaaad. Never go there again, and maybe lob a rock or 35 thru their shop windows sometime.

Archived