Tab to Transients in Pro Tools

• Moderators

I'm running Pro Tools LE as many of you are I'm sure. I've used the new Beat Detective for LE but have struggled with its lack of grouping. Stereo at the most...

I tracked down a great tip that I shared here regarding using it across grouped drums. It worked, but I still had problems with it... so I've since taken to grouping the drums and using Tab to Transients.

I think it is working better for me.

So, my question is, does anyone understand how Tab to Transients works in a grouped track scenario. I'm trying to figure what "rules" it uses, if any, to determine which transient to pick out of the grouped tracks.

Do you follow? As I tab, it will jump to the kick first probably, tab again and it goes down to another track apparently to find a hat transient. Etc, etc.

What I've noticed is, if I decide to skip cutting at one of its self-chosen transients, it seems to learn and adjust for later selections. It seems to take my choices in consideration of its next selection?!?!?!?? "Oh... ok, you like to cut on the kick and snare generally, and skip the hats for the most part." That kind of thing. (No it doesn't talk to me)

I AM NOT ON DRUGS!

Can this simple tool be this smart or am I having flashbacks?

IIRC, tab To Transients works on the track you've selected and not on all the grouped tracks, although once you've tabbed to a transient, if you hit Cntrl / E, all the grouped tracks will be "split" into two regions at the transient point.

I tracked down a great tip that I shared here regarding using it across grouped drums. It worked, but I still had problems with it... so I've since taken to grouping the drums and using Tab to Transients.

Link please? :)

I normally use the submix all the drum tracks to a single mono track, group it with the rest of the drums and use BD on the mono submix track trick... you can read the instructions / details about it right here.

• Moderators

Well, you supplied the link for me Phil. :) That was the tip I found a while back and shared it on this forum. I've been using BD that way but since switched to Tab to Transients for cutting up drums... then opening BD and using the "fill spaces and crossfade" feature.

I tried Tab again last night and I swear, there are ghosts in the machine.

If I group drums, insert cursor in the top track of the group which I make the kick, it will go to the kick transient, then it's next detection will be a hat. At first I thought there must be hat bleed in the kick drum mike... maybe it's picking that up but it's WAY down there level wise. Way down.

Anyway... it's working for me. I just wish I understood why.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Maybe it's a matter of how you have the sensitivity and emphasis set?

BTW Lee, I hear you've been holding out on me buddy... a little songbird (
;)
) tells me you're into powerpop in a big way... I want to hear some of your stuff!
:)

Maybe it's a matter of how you have the sensitivity and emphasis set? I didn't know there were settings? Doh! I looked and couldn't find any settings?!??! Where are they? Sorry to be such a Neophyte... which by the way is the 1st track on our new album just released on Zip Records (nice segue Lee!)

You can go here http://www.ziprecords.com/artists/markdecerbo/index.shtml and listen to Mark DeCerbo and Four Eyes. I just finished this. I'm in the band, recorded it at my place, faux-mastered it, and co-produced with Mark.

A couple of reviews here http://www.decerbo.com/bio.html

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

Maybe it's a matter of how you have the sensitivity and emphasis set? I didn't know there were settings? Doh! I looked and couldn't find any settings?!??! Where are they?

Part of beat detective, maybe? I'm not aware of any user definable preferences for tab to transients.

Correct - I'm talking about the emphasis and sensitivity controls in Beat Detective. They're on the right side of the BD window when you're using it in Region Seperation mode. Sorry for the confusion... there is no emphasis / sensitivity control adjustment for TTT that I'm aware of.

Archived