Twang surf preamps,eqs,reverbs

• Members

Yes Dick Dale Twang this is what im after

But What if i want my vocals to Twang, drums to Twang

should i buy a 1959 strat and put it on a mic stand and Sing

my vocals through the Fender Jaguar pickups? or Mic my drum sets with Fender Jaguar pickups to get that Twang sound?

Just take a Fender Jaguar pickup and hook it up to a preamp

to mic my amps ,vocals, drums to get that Twang sound?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those silver dustcapped speakers are usually JBL's. They tend to be crisp and clear and don't "break up" (speaker cone distortion) very easily, and therefore could be a good part of your "twang equation".

Usually "twang" comes from a bunch of things... starting with the player's hands. ;) You have to play with good attack and definition. Clean tones on the amp - not overdriven, and you don't want speaker cone breakup either - that's where those JBL's might come in handy. Fender amps are often used for "twangy" tone, but you could probably substitute a Vox or any amp that had similar tonal characteristics to those two. Use guitars with single coil pups - Telecasters, Strat bridge pups, Gretsches, Rickenbackers. A little bit of compression is sometimes used to get the note attacks to "pop out" a bit. Watch the bass - you don't need too much. Tremolo (on the amp or from a pedal) is also used sometimes. For surf, add liberal doses of the amp's spring reverb.

Get a guitar with single coils, use the bridge pup and plug it into a clean tube amp... then twirl the knobs until you hear something you like. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Try it and let us know what you think.
;):D

"Twang" is usually all about the
guitars...

That's entirely true. It's what will give you that sound. That's why some people prefer one guitar or another. Usualy, a single coil will help you get that twangy sound. The fenders are usualy good that twangy and whoever said bridge pickup is entirely right. It's all about that pickup for that twangy sound. The rest of the pickups are a lot smoother

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

beach jimmy page surf sound

:eek:

Hey Walters, I seriously suggest you take the previous posters' advice and learn to really play an instrument. All the studio trickery in the world won't successfully mask a piss-poor technique.

Garbage in -> Garbage out.

• Members
Originally posted by Chao

:eek:

It sounds a bit funny to think of jimmy page & surf...If you listen to 'Big Log' by Robert Plant you'll get the connection if consider the whole album...there's some page samples elsewhere on the album so his spirit is in there for sure although I think there's a degree or 2 of separation from surf. Page did lay down some pretty cool rockabilly licks on an extended jam LZ did for the BBC way back when though, that's as close as I've heard him get to surf...Now I've got that Robert Plant song playin in my head all morning! Hmmm...nice;)

• Members

You can't get a mic or eq to twang. And if anyone has told you you can, they are playing you for the sucker you are.

A guitar string twangs. Southern country singers twang. The pickup or mic only picks it up. The only thing you can do is preserve the original twang sound. Distortion, compression and muddy eq can destroy the twang. But you can't put a twang into a thang that ain't got twang.

• Members

What brand of guitars strings should i buy to get more Twang?

Yes a guitar pickup Twangs a 56,57,58,59 strat pickups twang

a 1969-70-71 do NOT Twang its a Rock Jimi hendrix used doesn't not Twang so its is the Pickups/microphones makes a big difference

A pickup is a Microphone so a 1956 strat pickup Twangs how and why?

A 1969 strat pick doesn't not Twang = a shure 57 mic

• Members

Gear first...how Duane tuned, down for his stuff...

Duane told me, after I mentioned reading all of this voo doo history of how he recorded Rebel Rouser and 40 Miles of Bad Road that he was always surprised when he heard those tales...

He said he used a Danelectro guitar, tuned regular , he said there's a lot of misinformation out there about that.

Dick Dale, had been doing covers and vocalists were out of style because combo bands couldn't do the Spector and Motown washes effectively so the songs went to melody as lead instrument for a time.

Dale, had a thrasher style and his fans, were young surfers from OC, Newport, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Orange, etc...he took up the sport and became passionate about both.

He was playing hard enough, to blow up speakers and chassis to a point where Leo Fender, got tired of issuing repair under warranty and asked Dick in, to help brainstorm the 60's early stuff...more wattage etc...

Use single coil but also include Jaguar, Stratocaster and Tele of course, the Mustang was a direct addressing of the tremelo bar, kids will buy em, surf genre.

The Spring reverb and of course, the virbrato or tremelo as it 's been called.

If you need the speakers, I'm gusessing Emminence, but that stuff you can find on ampwares etc.

R

• Members

As I said: "The pickup or mic only picks it up. The only thing you can do is preserve the original twang sound. Distortion, compression and muddy eq can destroy the twang."

Anything that kills the high end (like humbuckers) will destroy the twang coming from the strings.

Why don't you tell us what guitar and amp and speakers you have, so we don't waste time talking about stuff you don't have or have no intention of buying.

Are you even asking this about guitar? You seem to be asking some lame ass thing about making microphones or eq 'twang' .. what's that all about?

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

Are you even asking this about guitar? You seem to be asking some lame ass thing about making microphones or eq 'twang' .. what's that all about?

Somethings got Walters stirred up - that's for sure! :D

• Members

Buy a Fender amp skippy. What part of this don't you understand. Marshalls are designed for distortion - they aren't famous for clean sounds. The speakers are usually Celestions. These are designed to break up, or 'cream' which adds to the distorted rock sound they are famous for.

having said that - any half decent guitar player could play this at low volumes and do some twangy surf stuff. You either have what it takes or you don't.

Tone begins in your head. So i'm afraid your a bit stuffed there.

• Members

I don't want to look at it from the guitar and amp i have

this is pre-production TWANG

I want to look at it in a POST PRODUCTION situation

how would you get TWANG in Post production?

If i record a Dry D.I signal or just a normal guitar signal

how do i get it to Twang in post production?

What eq setting would do this?

what plug ins?

Do i run my audio through special twang transformers

Aux tracks?

• Members

Walters you is having such a bad day! :)

Go back to that Robert Plant song you mentioned. Play it clean & snappy & precise just like that with string bends and twang bar (bigsby). Add some cool surf verb & delay to taste while you're playing (to get the vibe) or later in post production to the dry piece. You're over-complicatin this - it's a style.

When you've recorded something in the style of "Big Log" then post a clip and we'll talk again. 10-4 :cool:

I want to look at it in a POST PRODUCTION situation

how would you get TWANG in Post production?

Walters, I'm going to impart to you one of the all time greatest secrets of the recording universe. This is VERY special information, and it's top secret hush-hush stuff in the minds of a lot of engineers who have spent years and years studying the craft and honing their skills, and who frankly, had to learn this incredibly valuable secret the "hard way".

I hope you'll be able to appreciate the wisdom and the depth of this knowledge that I'm about to give you, free of charge...

Are you ready for this?

This is REALLY deep stuff, so you're going to need to spend a little time reviewing it, and pondering it. I'm being TOTALLY serious here... don't take this lightly - we're talking "deep mysteries of the recording world" type stuff here...

Ready?

If it isn't happening at the SOURCE, all the post production editing / processing / manipulation in the universe isn't going to make it happen for you.

Read that again. And again if you need to. Think about nothing else for the next twenty-four hours. Live it - learn it - make it your personal recording mantra! :)

Archived