Twang surf preamps,eqs,reverbs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By "source", I'm talking about everything that comes before the microphones in the signal path - the guitar, the amp, the room, and probably most importantly, the player.

Frank Reckard (played with Emmylou Harris years ago, replaced Albert Lee and James Burton), used a Les Paul Special (or maybe it was a Junior...) for country stuff... hardly what most folks would reach for first when it comes to guitar for "country" music. Mike Stern (and others) used a Telecaster for jazz... agan, not what most people would reach for first for that particular genre... but they made it work by the amps and settings they used, but mostly because of HOW they approached the instruments and how they played.

A Strat is just fine for twangy stuff - heck, Dick Dale has been using "The Beast" (his Fender Strat) for decades, and he certainly knows about "twang". The Marshall you're using (BTW, what model do you have?) might not be a good matchup for that style, but as Kiwi (I think it was Kiwi) said, even that amp can probably get you there if you don't "push it" hard and make it distort. But IMO, an old silverface Fender tube combo (with tremolo and reverb and maybe equipped with JBL speakers) would be a better choice for that sound / genre.

"The Source" starts with the player. Learn the stylistic techniques and approach of that genre. Study the greats in that genre, listen to their records, and try to emulate not only their gear, but their playing approach and style. A lot of what you seek isn't just in the gear, but also in your head, heart and fingers... :)

• Moderators
Originally posted by Walters9515

Twang must be frequency Inductive Based

I don't think you can get Twang from a Capacitive based eq or pickup

I think Twang has to do with Resonance and Cutoff of a Inductor or the midrange peak in a inductor

That sounds a bit Area 51-ish but I can tell you that twang is about EQ, lack of sustain, and spring reverb / slap echo. Compression and warmth are the opposite of twang, and hall or room 'verb doesn't work.

Therefore, if you insist on trying to post process some twang from a clean guitar track, you might try using an expander to increase the dynamic range. An expander is just a compressor with the ratio reversed, e.g. 1:4 as opposed to 4:1.

Then add upper mids. Hope you didn't print any reverb on the track and that the guitar isn't distorted. Dunno about you, but I don't have an "un-reverb" or "distortion eraser" in my rack. :confused:

Best to get the sound while tracking, but just as an academic exercise this might make you happy.

Terry D.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Walters9515

Thanks Mr. knobs

use a expander should i put the upper midrange eq in the side chain of the expander or before the expander or after?

Having not actually tried this, I'd just have to hazard a guess. Definitely not in the sidechain, though I had to scratch my head for a moment thinking about what that would actually do. I'd say just EQ before the comp as usual.

But as they say, if it sounds good it is good.

Terry D.

• Members

if ur just talkin bout guitar i assume uve tried a thick pick and playing pretty aggresively. also with ur picking technique try slightly changing the angle that ur pic is to the string to change the sharpness that u get from it, probably not ur prob, might be worth a thought. take the bass back a notch or two and be generous with the trebble. not sure if thats really the sound u want or not....a bit of snap and sizzle

Archived