Twang surf preamps,eqs,reverbs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you want already a guitar that has a predestination for a twangy sound. A telecaster is the epitome of twangy.

Well most thinbodies like tele's with single coil or lipstick pickups.

Those things already will help you a lot to achieve that twangy sound. After that, it's just a matter of getting not too much bass, a good mid/midhigh and some clarity on the top for the high notes to sound crispy I'd say....but that's just my opinion.

• Members

In order for the pickups to twang you must remove your shoes and smash the butt of the guitar on your toes several times, until a read sticky liquid is seen.

Then, holding the guitar by the neck, bring the pickup toward your face in a swift motion causing the pickup to contact your face abruptly.

Repeat as necessary intil desired tone is achieved. In your case about a week or two.

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

How do i make my preamps ,eq's settings sound more Twang ?

What gives it that Twang sound?

If i record a basic dry D.I signal how do i make it twang?

Walters - you've started with minute details first.

Why don't you turn it around and tell us a recording you've heard with Twang? A group, a style, where have you heard this? The Twang that is? How do you know you like it? What has gotten you interested in Twang? The current project you're working on? What is that?

You're asking the probing questions but are not allowing us to understand the scope and vision you may have pertaining to Twang.

I can even anticipate your next response...something like What groups have Twang? To which I'll respond...Which groups do you think have Twang? and you'll go What is Twang - midrange? And I'll go ...so on and so forth. See I just saved us all a lot of time! :p

• Members

Oops - I just noticed this is Phils forum so maybe I was a little too flip for this establishment...

Walters check out Google and search for "Twang Bar" then check out the reverb units that had the dwell controll:

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/reverb_63ri.html

Then you find artists that used this equipment and made the Twang sound. Then you figure out what Country artists made Twang and why it's different, check out Duane Eddy an early 60's rock guy....different Twang styles.

• Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

Robert Plants Solo albums Pictures at 11 and the principle of Moments

The guitarist Robert Blunt has a very Twanging guitar sound

beach jimmy page surf sound

That's a very good example for Twang. Wicked Game - Chris Isaac guitarist, in fact Chris Isaac himself...that's my Twang!

String Bending...

• Members

It's not actually a silly question. I think the defining characteristic of an amp that is good for twangy guitar is simply clear, clean, treble boost.

Amps with good clean headroom are best for twangy guitar. A lot of the sound is in the cabinet too. Open back front mounted speakers will be brighter than closed back rear mounted speakers. Strong hi wattage speakers that don't break up are good for twang too - JBL or EV are popular with country guys for that reason. Low watt Celestions would probably break up too much.

A spring reverb adds to the twang, but I guess it's possible to twang without it.

There is no eq setting that can make a twang-less guitar twang. If you boosted the upper mids on a distorted Gibby/Marshall, it would just add fizz - not twang.

• Members

I seen country guitarist used the Speakers with the "Silver"

cones speakers to give more bright,presence

I forgot what these Silver cones speakers are called but

this is the sound

But in the early strats like 59 stevie Ray guitar is very Twangy

its has to do with the Frequencys its Set at on inside the pickup

the Notch or Curve of the pickup itself

But how to Re-create this effect with a Mixer or outboard , plug ins

Twang sounds like to me 2 or 3 Eq's set at different Curves

in series so they cancel out some frequencys and have different

midrange peaks

• Members

Danny Gatton...Twang, Dick Dale...Twang, Ventures...Twang.

It is much easier gettin the sound these guys got by using the equipment these guys used. Otherwise you're stuck tryin to dial in the details on equipment, emulations and situations that just won't please you and at the end of the day all you'll say is - that's pretty close, when you know it's miles away...

IMO - in order of importance Twang comes from:

1. Style & ability

2. Amp & Reverb choices

3. Guitar & Bigsby

Archived