Expensive guitars with cheap pickups, does it make a big difference?

TaZMaNiO

• Members

In honor of today's cover-up for a certain el-cheapo foreign guitar parts maker - whom shall remain unnamed to increase the life-expectancy of this thread - I wanna know how many have put cheap PuPs in high-end guitars and what your results were?

My second question is why would you skimp on your PuPs to begin with?

• Members

Like Batman said, there is a difference between 'cheap' and 'low cost'.

People here will probably be fed up with me talking about how much better my Heritage sounded when I removed the Seymour Duncan '59s and fitted GFS Nickel '59s. I also like Gibson's 'budget' ceramic series PUs, having a 496/500T set in a washburn A20 and a 496 in the neck of my V.

A part of the problem is that some people can only listen through their wallet, and aren't confident enough to make a judgement based on their perception of sound, just in case they look stupid later.

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

A part of the problem is that some people can only listen through their wallet, and aren't confident enough to make a judgement based on their perception of sound, just in case they look stupid later.

Well said.

• Members

assuming that 'cheap = crap'......

I would say that expensive pickups in a cheap guitar would sound better than cheap pickups in an expensive guitar.

But it just depends whether YOU like the tone of that particular pickup/guitar copmbination.

It's your guitar, I don't care. ;)

• Members

i just put my zebra '59 gfs pickup back in and this thing screams, sounds way better than the paf pro i had before. i also have a carvin m22t that i like alot, but that is a different type of pickup. there is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive as said before. to me cheap is inferior materials or quality, inexpensive is cheap labor, same materials as the u.s.a. counterparts. ten years ago people laughed at korean made guitars, now they are just as good and sometimes better than american made guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by Dougy

But it just depends whether YOU like the tone of that particular pickup/guitar copmbination.

I just don't understand why more people don't get this. Tone, and pickups in general, are just so subjective that it's nearly impossible to define "good" and "bad". Tons of people here like EMGs--I happen to dislike them. That doesn't make them bad.

Now, when you throw in cheap vs. expensive, it gets worse. Look around and you'll see plenty of people selling Fralins, Lollars, Rio Grandes, etc. because "they didn't sound like I expected them to." But, when someone doesn't like inexpensive pups (and it's probably in about the same proportions as the boutique makers), they immediately jump on the "cheapo" and "chinese" stereotype.

• Members

Originally posted by roygbiv

Look around and you'll see plenty of people selling Fralins, Lollars, Rio Grandes, etc.

Oh I do! :cool:

And I buy them up at deep discounts.

My theory is that some/many of those folks have too high of expectations regarding what the physical instrument can do all by itself, not facing up to the fact that much of what they want for "tone" is a matter of technique and practice...

in the fingers, not the wires and magnets.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Oh I do!
:cool:

And I buy them up at deep discounts.

My theory is that some/many of those folks have too high of expectations regarding what the physical instrument can do all by itself, not facing up to the fact that much of what they want for "tone" is a matter of technique and practice...

in the fingers, not the wires and magnets.

true, i don't know how many different "rigs" that lynch has been through(well i do cause i looked on his website) but he always sounds like himself and his sound is consistent from amp to amp.

Archived