Is there hope for me ?

• Members

Hello people. I've just joined and in fact, i've joined to receive some answers if possible, for my situation.

I'm gonna speak in a way now which some of you might dislike immediately, but i have to, because i don't wanna waste your time trying to figure out what's going on.

Alright, here's my deal :

I am, 22 years old and a musician. I've been a musician since i was 7 and i started playing guitar when i was 5.

I have many problems in my life. Our family business went down when i was 16. Since then i've had no money to do nothing. We used to be a rich family as far as i remember, but like i said, no money to do anything.

Besides that, i have a very rare social phobia issue and i've been dealing with it for a very long time. I don't have any friends, i never had a girlfriend, i never had a night out, never went to a concert, never done anything really. I can't even talk to people, i can't do nothing.

Spending my life mostly in my room with 12 hours of musical practise everday. But these problems really started to get on my nerves. I don't know what to do because :

the truth is; i am a fascinating guitar player. I mean, not a normal guitar player. A real unique one. (well, i really started to fascinate myself i can tell you that) I see all these ultimate players in the world nowadays, Joe Satriani, Tommy Emmanuel, Preston Reed, Andy McKee, Doyle Dykes etc...

I mastered all the techniques they use, a long time ago and the hardest songs, i'll play like in an instant without even working on them (any style won't matter, i already play all their tunes). I read notation just as good as Mozart, know more than 4000 chords and i'll play a chord in 10 different positions on the neck instantly. i know many many modes and scales and i know how and when to combine them and i know what feelings gonna come out. and most importantly, i have 215 fully complete tunes. All are instrumental, both acoustic and electric, and they all have musical value of the highest order. I worked really hard on creating them. I recorded them using M-Audio & Protools in my room, with my first class equipment. (yeah they're first class, but i bought them years ago except for a couple of pedals, i don't have any money now)

Now, since i have all those problems i mentioned above, i'm like suffocating. Please tell me, what am i to do... I don't know anybody, and i don't know what to do. I really feel very bad about my life, and i'm tired of being a loser and non-capable of anything.

So, is there anything that i can do ?..

• Members

This is a music forum and it seems you don't have a problem with music - if you discount your (perhaps) overly high opinion of your own musical abilities. Sounds like you need advice from a medical forum - or even better, from a qualified therapist. I'm not trying to be glib - I've known people with disabling mental conditions and I know it's no laughing matter. Go get help.

• Members

No, there is no hope.

But you could look for a way to make money that doesn't involve much social interaction. Maybe you can write transcriptions for a guitar magazine.

Also see a doctor. There are medications that can help with your SAD (social anxiety disorder).

• Members

Now, since i have all those problems i mentioned above, i'm like suffocating. Please tell me, what am i to do... I don't know anybody, and i don't know what to do. I really feel very bad about my life, and i'm tired of being a loser and non-capable of anything.

1. Set up an appointment with a psychiatrist. You're clinically depressed.

2. In terms of music: talk is VERY easy; accomplishment is VERY difficult. If your music is as good as you profess, then let us have a listen. Better yet, put it up on the internet, promote it, and see if other people love it as much as you do.

• Members

There is always hope. Look at what Beethoven did, with all his personal and health problems. Hell the guy created the greatest music in the history of man while being totally deaf.

But you need to see a doctor for your problems first.

• Members

I've been at this for many years and I've learned these things:

-The world does not owe me anything. Simply wanting something does not make it happen.

-There is very little in the world that I can control.

-The attitude I take when approaching something has an enormous influence on the outcome.

-The music business is a very small one. Everyone knows everyone else. It really isn't about "who you know"

-Those who who have succeeded are really good at SOMETHING.

-After more than 45 years af playing guitar, I'm more of a beginner today than I was when I started. The time to stop playing when I think I know everything.

If everything you've said is true, maybe the next questions you may want to ask yourself are:

-What do you WANT to do?

-What is your definition of success?

-What are you willing to do in order to accomplish it?

• Members

If everything you've said is true, maybe the next questions you may want to ask yourself are:

-What do you WANT to do?

These are very good questions to ask. Building on that, I think, instead of asking, "So, is there anything that i can do?" (which is way too vague a question for anyone to give you a helpful answer), you should probably ask yourself, if lack of money, social phobia, and your various other issues were not factors, what do you envision yourself doing? What would interest you the most? Clarifying your goal would be the first step. Then we could probably give you more specific advice.

But for now, yeah, definitely seek therapy. It could probably help you figure these things out too. EDIT: I would probably specifically seek out a therapist or counselor in your area before going straight to a psychiatrist. The reason is because a psychiatrist will be quick to prescribe you pills. Nothing necessarily wrong with meds or anti-depressants for people who genuinely need them, but not everyone does. Often, just having someone to provide feedback and talk things through with may be all that's necessary. If you need something more, a decent therapist can determine that too. And you will have the final decision.

• Members

Option 1: Get therapy.

Option 2: Man up. Doing something--anything--with original music takes guts. Dealing with people and social situations takes guts. Pulling yourself out of a rut and following your dreams is extremely difficult. Presenting your music in a humble way for total strangers and letting them form their own opinions---takes guts. It all means giving up total control--of you being able to control the social situation, the way your music is perceived, the way others perceive you. If you believe in your music, and you sound like you do, then post it. You have already taken the first step of putting yourself out there by posting here, now take it to the next level, then the next, then the next..... It will probably scare the hell out of you, but you already know what the alternatives are, since you are already doing it twelve hours a day. It's not about money. I'm broke and have average gear, and I'm making lots of music that I feel good about.

Anyway, whether you seek professional help or go it alone, I hope you at least post ONE song here. I'm curious as hell now. Can't go waltzing into an HC forum and compare yourself to Mozart and Satriani without offering a shred of evidence ;)

• Members

You all tell me to get therapy but i guess i didn't make myself clear enough. I don't have money for therapy, i don't have money to buy anti-depresant drugs or anything. i don't have money to buy strings fgs. I don't believe in therapy anyway, what can they actually do ? it's just who i am.

so one asked "what i want to do"

i'd really like to record CDs in some fancy studio, get a contract with some company and let people listen to my music and make money.

when i go outside my stomach hurts and i go back inside. i don't know why i'm like this but it's just the way i am. and hey i'm not comparing myself to anyone. those music people i mentioned earlier are all legends for me and they taught me to play and gave me a life. i didn't know what i was doing since Forgotten Part 2 made me believe in God, years ago.

i don't know where this will take me but i might end up committing suicide, i think about it a lot lately.

so some questions were asked :

-What do you WANT to do? like i said above :(

-What is your definition of success? being able to make money out of my music

-What are you willing to do in order to accomplish it? i want to do it all, but i can't. my state of mind doesn't let me do nothing !

- if lack of money, social phobia, and your various other issues were not factors, what do you envision yourself doing? What would interest you the most? i would go out and have gigs, i'd love a girl, i'd do bungee jumping and all there's to live for.

just imagine yourself, shivering, sweating when you're in a public vechile (it's also like your brain weighs like a hundred tons) and dying to get home. and when you get home, you get lost in thoughts of how you'd love to dissapear, poof.

i'm so sorry man, i really feel so sorry and i don't have hope.

• Members

alright, so back to the..

You all tell me to get therapy but i guess i didn't make myself clear enough. I don't have money for therapy, i don't have money to buy anti-depresant drugs or anything. i don't have money to buy strings fgs. I don't believe in therapy anyway, what can they actually do ? it's just who i am.

so one asked "what i want to do"

i'd really like to record CDs in some fancy studio, get a contract with some company and let people listen to my music and make money.

when i go outside my stomach hurts and i go back inside. i don't know why i'm like this but it's just the way i am. and hey i'm not comparing myself to anyone. those music people i mentioned earlier are all legends for me and they taught me to play and gave me a life. i didn't know what i was doing since Forgotten Part 2 made me believe in God, years ago.

i don't know where this will take me but i might end up committing suicide, i think about it a lot lately.

so some questions were asked :

-What do you WANT to do? like i said above
:(
being able to make money out of my music

i want to do it all, but i can't. my state of mind doesn't let me do nothing !

- if lack of money, social phobia, and your various other issues were not factors, what do you envision yourself doing? What would interest you the most?
i would go out and have gigs, i'd love a girl, i'd do bungee jumping and all there's to live for.

just imagine yourself, shivering, sweating when you're in a public vechile (it's also like your brain weighs like a hundred tons) and dying to get home. and when you get home, you get lost in thoughts of how you'd love to dissapear, poof.

i'm so sorry man, i really feel so sorry and i don't have hope.

I listened to the clips, and I'll admit that you have some skills to back up your grand claims. That said, there are a million internet shredders out there, you need something more than awesome technique to set yourself apart. You need something unique, something that resonates with people... Look at youtube musicians with really popular channels, think about what sets them apart.

So the first thing you could do, even before going to a doctor, is buying a camera and posting high quality youtube videos. That seems to be one of the best roads to fame for musicians nowadays anyway...(!) But like I said, you need something to set you apart. And even if you become as internet-famous as the Canon Rock guy, it won't make you any money directly. Then you'd need to take the next step... Which involves leaving the house.

Some poster above mentioned that there are ways for musicians to make money without interacting a lot with people, like making guitar transcriptions. This is a good suggestion, but still... I don't think you can get those jobs by simply sending an application letter, etc. I think that for all jobs in the music industry it's true that you can only get them by networking a lot, and becoming well-known. So, you really need to leave the house and socialize.

Bottom line: get therapy.

"This is just who I am" and "I don't have money" are just excuses.

Admit that you have a huge problem that needs to be solved. Get a regular job, which can pay for therapy. Then you can start to think about ways to make a career in music.

(Until then, post youtube videos for fun, and to see if people are actually interested in what you have to offer.)

• Members

I listened to the clips, and I'll admit that you have some skills to back up your grand claims. That said, there are a million internet shredders out there, you need something more than awesome technique to set yourself apart. You need something unique, something that resonates with people... Look at youtube musicians with really popular channels, think about what sets them apart.

So the first thing you could do, even before going to a doctor, is buying a camera and posting high quality youtube videos. That seems to be one of the best roads to fame for musicians nowadays anyway...(!) But like I said, you need something to set you apart. And even if you become as internet-famous as the Canon Rock guy, it won't make you any money directly. Then you'd need to take the next step... Which involves leaving the house.

Some poster above mentioned that there are ways for musicians to make money without interacting a lot with people, like making guitar transcriptions. This is a good suggestion, but still... I don't think you can get those jobs by simply sending an application letter, etc. I think that for all jobs in the music industry it's true that you can only get them by networking a lot, and becoming well-known. So, you really need to leave the house and socialize.

Bottom line: get therapy.

"This is just who I am" and "I don't have money" are just excuses.

Admit that you have a huge problem that needs to be solved. Get a regular job, which can pay for therapy. Then you can start to think about ways to make a career in music.

(Until then, post youtube videos for fun, and to see if people are actually interested in what you have to offer.)

Okay, so therapy it is ?. I don't believe that it will help me but since everyone says the same thing i guess i'll have to do it. My family though they never say squad about it.

• Moderators

silver, you are in serious need of professional psychological help. Depending where you live, there should be free, yes, FREE mental health services if you can prove need and lack of financial ability to pay.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Wallowing in your own self-pity does more harm than good. Seek help. If you have additional suicidal thoughts, call the local suicide hotline. This is not incurable, but, you have to believe there is hope, or nothing will help. Positive mental attitude will be your ally.

• Members

Listen, my friend. You have a great gift; and you have great problems. Please, please, reach out to people in the real world and not just people on internet forums.

And don't kill yourself. We all feel down sometimes. But it's scary to hear you say that. That is very scary. You are awesome and worthy of love. And god gave you a joy for music and an ability to create it. That alone is worth living for. That's more than many people have.

Again: You are good. Your music is good. Tell someone you know what you are going through. And most importantly: Keep making good music and sharing it here and elsewhere!!!

• Members

Silver__,

Had a listen, read this thread over, and here is what I have to say:

You are a shredder, no doubt. Your focus seems to be on technique, which has served you well thus far, because, as I mentioned, you shred, bra.

You also seem to be filled with confusion and an urge to release your feelings to other human beings, to sort out this confusion and to try to build a life of happiness from it, to get your sadness in check and get on with life. This is exactly what therapy can help you do. Money is no object, there are free services in every state in the US. Seek them out....

...and continue to make music. Your music will guide you through it, and it will transform in the process and become something more beautiful than you ever imagined.

Get therapy, it works.

And get a job. You will be amazed what a little hard work and cash in your pocket will do for your state of mind and sex appeal :cool:

• Members

There is absolutely hope. Please reach out and get whatever help you feel you need. Also remember that everyone has low points and that doesn't make you a loser. I love that you have such a passion for music and I hope you will share it with the world one day

• Members

You have a social phobia, caused by a fear of people in your early childhood or something. This led to spending time alone, where music became your only friend. No matter the cause, no matter how good you play music, no matter what you want to do with your life. The only way you will be succesfull in life, is based on 'contacts'. The more contacts the more success you will have. So you're in deep {censored} really. Leave your music, spending more time with it, to become more than Mozart won't help you. Scoring succes in the music-bizz isn't based on quality music, it's based on looks and contacts...

The only solution to defeat the monster you're scared of (facing and communicating with people) is tru facing the monster itself. The more you confront your monster, the more you'll will getting to know it better. Leave your music...go out on the street and meet some people. You talk to much about yourself, you're asking us what we think of you....you gotta turn it around...what can you you do for others...go out and sell yourself.

Archived