What is best mic pre amp in $100 to $400 range

• Members

I have a studio projects c-1 LD condenser mic and Zoom 1266 MRS. I am looking for a great mic pre amp in the $100 - $ 400 range. Looking for a best mic pre amp to complement studio projects c-1. I probably want 2 channel mic pre amp, so i can record acoustic guitar in stereo, also I have a matched pair of oktavia mk12 small condenser mics to record acoustic guitar in stereo .and fender strat and fender hot rod deluxe. I play mostly rock and blues. What mic pre amps you recommend?

• Members

DMP3 seems to get a good rap, havent tried it though, its got two channels. studio projects vtb1 is sposed to be fairly versatile but maybe not as good and its only one chanel

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=227171

from the above thread "Mic Preamps:

Under $150: M-Audio DMP3, Studio Projects VTB-1, Rane MS1B

Under $600: FMR Audio RNP, Groove Tubes Brick, Grace 101

Under $1,000: Sytek MPX-4Aii, GR MP-1NV, John Hardy M1

"

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

It's a bit over your stated budget, but for a two channel unit at anywhere near that price point, I'd have to recommend the FMR RNP. A used Presonus MP20, one of the earlier models with the Jensen transformers, would also be a good choice IMO - assuming you can find one with the Jensens in it.

The Jensens are less responsible for the quality of those pre's than the Burr Brown op amps are. Fortunately, Burr Browns can be stuck into the current ones fairly effortlessly.

Anyway, the two MS 1b's would make good choices for the Oktava's because of the noise issue. An RNP would also work, its noise specs aren't as good as the MS 1b's but it sounds sweeter. You'll need to EQ out treble if you use either of these pre's with a C1 (with which a Brick would probably make a better match).

The Jensens are less responsible for the quality of those pre's than the Burr Brown op amps are. Fortunately, Burr Browns can be stuck into the current ones fairly effortlessly.

Yes, the op amps are socketed, which makes swapping them out a lot easier. :cool: I put OPA627's into mine, and while I will agree that the opamp swap also makes a difference, I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's more important than the tranny swap... IMO, both make a difference.

Brian, I'm sorry, but I've never used that Zoom before. Does it have any line inputs on it, and if so, what format inputs does it use? IOW, are they XLR line inputs or 1/4" TS or TRS? I'm going to assume they're on 1/4" jacks... The MP20 uses XLR connectors for the I/O. You'd simply need a XLR to 1/4" cable (available at most music stores, or you can solder up your own). The biggest question is if the Zoom uses balanced 1/4" (TRS) line inputs or unbalanced 1/4" (TS) connectors - that will determine which type of cable you will need to buy / make. :)

But in a nutshell, you'd connect the mic to the MP20, and then route the line out from the MP20 to the line input of your Zoom, using the appropriate cable - XLR -> 1/4" TS or XLR -> 1/4" TRS.

• Members

My micophone has a XLR cable that is plugged to the IMPUT of a

unbalenced XLR jack to the Presonus mic pre amp. Thats where the first XLR cable is plugged into. I attached a 2nd

XLR cable this is hooked up to the balenced OUTPUT of the Presonus mic

pre amp and then to the other end of the 2nd XLR cable is plugged to the balenced

XLR imput of the ZOOM. So 2nd XLR cable goes to Presonus balenced XLR to Zoom balenced XLR imput. Phil I don't think I really need a a XLR cable to 1/4" imput cable. The Zoom has balenced XLR imputs it has phantom power. Am I right?

This maybe be a dumb question do you recommend miking the guitar cabinet with a dynamic mic and bypass the Zoom pre amps and use the Presonus Tube Pre. It is solid state with tube. Should you wait a 1/2 hr for the tubes to warm up. It as both drive and gain. I guess the gains adds more tube sound and more decibals. Anybody own a Presonus Tube Mic? What are the best settings for you can put the drive and gain to achieve great vocals?

Originally posted by brian123

My micophone has a XLR cable that is plugged to the IMPUT of a

unbalenced XLR jack to the Presonus mic pre amp. Thats where the first XLR cable is plugged into. I attached a 2nd

XLR cable this is hooked up to the balenced OUTPUT of the Presonus mic

pre amp and then to the other end of the 2nd XLR cable is plugged to the balenced

XLR imput of the ZOOM. So 2nd XLR cable goes to Presonus balenced XLR to Zoom balenced XLR imput. Phil I don't think I really need a a XLR cable to 1/4" imput cable.

No, you don't really "need" one, and you can run it the way you described... but that setup probably has the MP20's signal also going through the Zoom's onboard mic preamp too... which isn't ideal IMO, but as long as you have the gain turned down all the way, it's probably not hurting anything too much. But if the Zoom does have 1/4" line inputs, then using the cables I described, along with those 1/4" line inputs, will bypass the Zoom's preamps and will probably result in a cleaner signal.

The Zoom has balenced XLR imputs it has phantom power. Am I right?

I don't know - are you right?
;)
I've never used that Zoom, and finding their website via Google is not exactly easy.
:(
Anyway, the MP20 has phantom power, so if you are using a condenser mic and need phantom, use the phantom on the MP20 - there is no need to have it active on the Zoom if you're feeding the Zoom a signal from the MP20.

This maybe be a dumb question do you recommend miking the guitar cabinet with a dynamic mic and bypass the Zoom pre amps and use the Presonus Tube Pre. It is solid state with tube. Should you wait a 1/2 hr for the tubes to warm up. It as both drive and gain. I guess the gains adds more tube sound and more decibals. Anybody own a Presonus Tube Mic? What are the best settings for you can put the drive and gain to achieve great vocals?

I'm not a big fan of most low cost "toob" preamps, but YMMV. I don't have a Presonus Tube Pre - just the MP20, and although I'm not familiar with the Zoom, I would suspect that the MP20 preamps are of a better overall quality than the onboard preamps in the Zoom.

On "real" high plate voltage tube gear, I normally prefer to give them a hour of warm up / stablizing time before use them.

• Members

Your Zoom 1266 MRS has 1/4" unbalanced line level inputs, 6 of them as I read from the Zoom website.

You need a female XLR to Male 1/4" TS connector wired as follows:

Pin 1=shield

Pin 2=tip

Pin 3=shield

Thus you send a line level output to a line level input. So long as you keep the cable under 15 feet the signal will be fine, and you'll not be running a line level signal into a mic pre.

• Members

The best way to connect a line-level device such as your outboard pre

is to use the line-level inputs: your 1266 should have a stereo pair. ( Are they on the front panel of the Zoom or back panel of the Zoom?)

I've downloaded the 1266 manual and given a look at its sockets: it seems 1266's got no line inputs. So, the best connections you can make is XLR out from outboard, XLR input to the Zoom. Start with the sensitivity input on the Zoom fully counterclockwise and a mean output level from the Presonus (if you can determine it, "0 dB" would be great). Then if needed raise the Presonus' output level until Zoom's red light flashes, and slightly lower it. If Presonus output is not enaugh to have the LED light, begin raising its level, always useing the LED as a guide.

Of course, if with the sensitivity full down red light flashes, you'll lower the Presonus' output.

1266's pres can't be skipped, but this will ensure you keep them work as less as possible.

What I want to do is record a vocal thru Large diagraphm microphone it has a XLR cable that is plugged to the imput of a unbalced xlr jack to the outboard mic pre amp.

Why do you say your XLR cable is not balanced? Are you sure? If Presonus is able to manage balanced inputs, go and buy a balanced cabvle today! :-)

Do I attach another XLR cable and hook it up to the balanced output of the outboard mic pre amp and the then hook the other end of the 2nd XLR cable to the XLR imput of the ZOOM.

Exactly!

I need 2 cables attached to the imput of mic pre amp. and a 2nd XLR cable to go from output of outboard mic preamp to XLR imput of ZOOM. Where are the stereo imputs for the ZOOM? The

front panel or back panel?

Are you goin' to record useing two miks at a time?

if this is the case, simply choose two adjacent XLR inputs on the Zoom and, when playing them back/bouncing them, hard pan them in opposite directions. Here's your stereo record!

PS: I'd assign the two signals to a couple of adjacent tracks rather than to the stereo track: this will probably reveal a more flexible way to treat them in post-production (different effects and the like). Besides, stereo track will not allow you to hard pan the two signals as above.

Enjoy!

I guess I bought the XLR to 1/4 cable for no good reason. At the music store they had a 25 foot cable. They told me they can cut it down to 15 feet. They did. I guess i cannot bypass the Zooms pre amps.

• Members

Your Zoom 1266 MRS has 1/4" unbalanced line level inputs, 6 of them as I read from the Zoom website.

You need a female XLR to Male 1/4" TS connector wired as follows:

Pin 1=shield

Pin 2=tip

Pin 3=shield

Thus you send a line level output to a line level input. So long as you keep the cable under 15 feet the signal will be fine, and you'll not be running a line level signal into a mic pre.

The best way to connect a line-level device such as your outboard pre

is to use the line-level inputs: your 1266 should have a stereo pair. ( Are they on the front panel of the Zoom or back panel of the Zoom?) Where

I've downloaded the 1266 manual and given a look at its sockets: it seems 1266's got no line inputs. So, the best connections you can make is XLR out from outboard, XLR input to the Zoom. Start with the sensitivity input on the Zoom fully counterclockwise and a mean output level from the Presonus (if you can determine it, "0 dB" would be great). Then if needed raise the Presonus' output level until Zoom's red light flashes, and slightly lower it. If Presonus output is not enaugh to have the LED light, begin raising its level, always useing the LED as a guide.

Of course, if with the sensitivity full down red light flashes, you'll lower the Presonus' output.

1266's pres can't be skipped, but this will ensure you keep them work as less as possible.

What I want to do is record a vocal thru Large diagraphm microphone it has a XLR cable that is plugged to the imput of a unbalced xlr jack to the outboard mic pre amp.

Why do you say your XLR cable is not balanced? Are you sure? If Presonus is able to manage balanced inputs, go and buy a balanced cabvle today! :-)

Do I attach another XLR cable and hook it up to the balanced output of the outboard mic pre amp and the then hook the other end of the 2nd XLR cable to the XLR imput of the ZOOM.

Exactly!

I need 2 cables attached to the imput of mic pre amp. and a 2nd XLR cable to go from output of outboard mic preamp to XLR imput of ZOOM. Where are the stereo imputs for the ZOOM? The

front panel or back panel?

Are you goin' to record useing two miks at a time?

if this is the case, simply choose two adjacent XLR inputs on the Zoom and, when playing them back/bouncing them, hard pan them in opposite directions. Here's your stereo record!

PS: I'd assign the two signals to a couple of adjacent tracks rather than to the stereo track: this will probably reveal a more flexible way to treat them in post-production (different effects and the like). Besides, stereo track will not allow you to hard pan the two signals as above.

Zoom user

Enjoy!

I guess I bought the XLR to 1/4 cable for no good reason. At the music store they had a 25 foot cable. They told me they can cut it down to 15 feet. They did. I guess i cannot bypass the Zooms pre amps. Can anybody tellme if I can bypass the pre amp to the Zoom for sure? Brian

Report this pos

• Members

The fact is, Zoom does have line-level inputs, and have mik

inputs:

(dinamic)

you

of

mik

out

on

IMO

at

way

too

know!

to a

two

three

counterclockwise and a mean output level from the Presonus (if you

can determine it, "0 dB" would be great). Then if needed raise the

Presonus' output level until Zoom's red light flashes, and slightly

lower it. If Presonus output is not enaugh to have the LED light,

begin raising its level, always useing the LED as a guide.

Of course, if with the sensitivity full down red light flashes,

you'll lower the Presonus' output.

1266's pres can't be skipped, but this will ensure you keep them

work as less as possible.

counterclockwise and IMPUT 6 fully counterclockwise. Is that right.

At this setting the presonus output is silent.Not an option. So I

turned the RECORD 6 TRACKS to 11;oo clock and IMPUT 6 to 10;00 clock

to get me a sufficient volume. I don't know with these settings how

much percentage of the track 6 is the Zoom preamps and how much is

the Presonus. Vocals sound warmer and more sparkly with tube sound

of the Presonus. Sounds better than Zoom pre amp. I'm thinking maybe

I should sell my 1266 and get the 1666 just so I can attach a nice

mic pre amp to the 1666,plus I like the idea of 40 gig hd. It seems

all I do is run out of space on the 20 gig hd that came 1266. I'm

constantly backing up songs to cd roms. They have them at Sweetwater

for $699. I even heard they sound better better ad/converters.

• Members

How to I hook up a dynamic microphone to a Presonus? Do I plug the dynamic microphones cable into the unbalenced imput on the Presonus? Do I run then a 2nd 1/4" cable or guitar cable from the Presonus instrument output to one of the Zooms unbalenced 6 line imputs. Or does the 2nd cable that goes to the ZOOM have to be 1/4" TS wired as follows Pin 1 =shield Pin 2 =tip Pin 3=shield So my 2nd cable I need is a guitar cable to run from output of Presonus to one of Zooms unbalenced 6 line imputs?

Archived