Eliminating noise and keeping tone

fuzzball

• Members

I currently like my amp so I don't want to get rid of it, unfortunatly it is a bit noisy, even more so when I use a guitar with single coils (which makes sense). I would like to reduce the noise and yet keep as much of the tone as possible. Any recommendations, I have a noise gate I could use but is there a better way, such as an eq pedal or something else?

• Members

Peavey Bandit 112S, not a new one, this is an early 90's model or possibly late 80's. It has great distortion, the clean channel is decent. Unforntunatly it is a little noisy, which makes recording it a little tough and near impossible for clean sounds.

• Members

I keep the amp at least 6 feet away from other equipment, I usualy don't have anything on when playing it, so that keeps unwanted interference out. I like the Rocktron idea so far, I looked it up and you can use effects with it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys you are very helpful.

• Members

solid state amps have that inherrent hiss, its just how they are, I have a peavey studio pro 112 that I use as a practice amp and its noisy ESPECIALY on the dirty channels..... its just how the amps are in my opinion, though I only use it for messing around so it truly doesnt bother me...

• Members

Bingo Wah Wah. Look also in to what the cables sonic stabilities,see if the are still in top shape and get a impedance box to make sure the impedances from guitar to effects to the amp are level.Impedance mismatches are a leading cause in signal noise and degredation of the impact of tone.Try a VHT Valvulator ! or a simular product.:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by AJ6stringsting

That suggestion of putting a Hush unit in the Effects loop is a good idea,I tried it and my sound improved about 60%,then I put a sonic maximizer in the effects loop and my sound even got 200% better.Another thing to get is a power conditioner to clean up any AC(60 cycle hum and hiss)from your out lets.
:cool:

+1

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzball

No, any suggestion of how to do that?

I like copper foil tape best. You encase your control compartment with it. And run a small ground wire to it. Just don't let a hot wire touch it. Anyway it should cut down on some if not most of the noise.

Archived