"Fair price" question for a used American Standard Strat...

Phil O'Keefe

Hey everyone... I've got a buddy who has proposed a trade to me... his 90's era Am Std Strat and '72-'73 Twin for a couple of studio things he needs and that I have but that I don't use anymore... I think the deal is actually unfair to him, and I do want to be fair, so I'm trying to get a handle on what his gear is actually worth on the used market.

I'm not sure on the exact year of the Strat, but it kinda looks like this one, except it has the dual string trees and spagetti logo, a rosewood board, aftermarket Texas Specials and a Buzz Feiten tuning system installation. It's cosmetically a VG+ condition, with only two small dings and a slight 2" area of marring of the finish (looks like duct tape residue, but I think it's "burned into" the finish) near the top / body edge near the jackplate.

Any "ballpark" ideas on what something like that would normally sell for?

Thanks for your input. :)

• Members

Hi Phil,

Here are a couple of links that you may find useful:

Dating Your USA Fender Stratocaster

Strat Collector dot com

I know quite a bit about American Strats, but the stratcollector.com forums are usually where I head if I'm stumped. There are some crazy-smart people in there that know every nook and cranny of the Stratocaster.

Best of luck with your trade,

~Blackbelt

Thanks guys... a little while ago I found this page on the Fender site and it does look like it's a '95. It looks pretty good, and plays sweet, so I've decided to do the deal, and already discussed it with my friend... so I'm now the proud owner of a '95 Strat and a 72 / 73 Twin. :)

Thanks again to everyone for the tips and help. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Thanks guys... a little while ago I found
this page on the Fender site
and it does look like it's a '95. It looks pretty good, and plays sweet, so I've decided to do the deal, and already discussed it with my friend... so I'm now the proud owner of a '95 Strat and a 72 / 73 Twin.
:)

Thanks again to everyone for the tips and help.
:cool:

Does it honestly matter what the year is (as far as the price goes)? A 91, a 95, a 98 would all sell for basically the same price if they were identical. It's not like any year during the 90's is collectible.

I suppose if you like the idea of a Buss Feiten tuning system, I'd say around $700. The amp is worth around...what...$500? I thought I saw one at Dave's a while ago for around $400-500. I can't remember.

So you're probably looking at around $1200 worth of stuff.

Archived