Drum Mics, Part Deux

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of the AKG D112 (I dont' need that much bottom end, and it sometimes sounds too much like a basketball bouncing for my tastes).

I am trying to sell mine. It's in great shape, partially because I hardly ever used it. Some people really love it. If that's you, contact me.

• Members

The D112 is very position critical. It IMHO can sound great, but it takes some work, whereas the 52 always sounds exactly what I hear in the room with minimal effort. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had to tweak out the 52's position from where I originally placed it.

• Members

In my opinion... (just my opinion , guy's ;) )

I really, really dislike the D112, click and boom and little else, about the only thing I've ever found it good on was extreme metal.

I also don't particularly care for Beta 52's, they are ok, you can get a decent sound out of them, but no matter what drum I've used them on, they always sound like a beta 52. Doesn't seem to let the character of the drum through enough.

I don't mind the EV868's, a little clicky for my tastes, but workable.

I love the D6, it's my favorite overall kick mic. It does have a bit more low end than some others, but its much smoother than the D112 and it still has enough mid range to let the individual character of the drum through. Plus, it sounds great with little or no eq tweeks most of the time.

One of my other favorites is the Beyer Dynamic M88. Not the M88TG, the old one. super smooth and a great balanced overall sound.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

The D112 is very position critical. It IMHO can sound great, but it takes some work, whereas the 52 always sounds exactly what I hear in the room with minimal effort. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had to tweak out the 52's position from where I originally placed it.

Interesting, thanks. I've just always struggled to get the D112 to sound decent, whereas if I simply place an AT4060 just outside the kick, it almost always instantly sounds good. And as I've mentioned before, that's not even an ideal mic for kick drums.

I should try and check out one of those 52s since I keep hearing good things about it.

Where, where do you usually place the D112 to achieve the best sound?

• Members

I find the D112 works best (in a rock kick) pointed toward the shell, just inside the hole. For a jazz/funk (no mic hole) I usually place it as I would a tom mic, from the floor tom side, over the top and about 6-8 inches away.

However, it is far from my first choice in kick mics.

• Members

Oh, one thing I forgot... The D6 in the hole with a Beta 91 or SM91 inside the kick is an incredible combiniation. Its a fantastic set up for stage, and in the studio too. You can also add an additional large diaphram mic about 3-5 feet in front of the kick in the studio and reall get a great sound.

I've never been a big fan of the D112 either... YMMV of course, but I always found more uses for the original D12 than for the D112. The B52 is something I have not spent any real "quality time" with, so I can't comment there, but I do really like the D6. A buddy of mine has an early D6 and it really is a much better sounding kick mic than the D4 (the original Audix "kick mic") is. The D4 works very well on floor toms, but isn't quite beefy enough for my tastes on kick.

If every RE20 suddenly vanished off the face of the planet, I'd want to try everything I could get my hands on to see what I liked best to replace it, but as of this moment, based on what I have heard, I'd lean towards a D6. IMO, a very nice mic. :cool:

Originally posted by MarkGifford-1

I'd also look at the Audio-Technica ATM-25. I haven't found anything I've liked better.

MG

IMO, another good call. :) Even the cheaper Pro 25 is a good choice on kicks for those who are extremely budget challenged IMO. ATM25's are also excellent on toms too.

• Members

im still very into the re20s on the kicks...i havent had the chance of using the d-6 at the studio but i hear great things about it. the re20 seems to really take to eqing better than the other choices...and it just seems punchier to me in the low end, even if have to add some top.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I have done so a few times Ken, and they can work okay, but usually require some EQ to "work" well IMO. IOW, I think there are better choices available, but some people do use them and seem happy with them.

So far, that's been my experience as well. I think I need to get something that's better than my D112 (which I'm selling).

I have used an AT4060, D112, 57, and a 421 for the kick, and the AT4060 is nicest for the outside of the kick, but I'm looking for something that else that is a little more ideal. I'll figure it out, though!! I'm actually considering the Sage Electronics Bova Ball mic that I posted about a couple of times earlier because it would also be useful on a lot of other things besides a kick drum (it was described as a "more flattering Earthworks mic" and the .wav files that the guy sent me sound really good if used on the outside of the kick). We'll see, though.

Phil, a pleasure to see you again. We'll do the mic - mic preamp shootout soon, hopefully.

Phil, a pleasure to see you again.

Backatcha Ken! Always a pleasure to hang with you. :thu:

We'll do the mic - mic preamp shootout soon, hopefully.

I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll be able to get the schedules synchronized sometime soon for some in-studio tracking / listening parties. :)

Archived