The definitive ribbon mic thread

• Members

It might be a little tough to get the 'definitive' ribbom mic thread' in any one forum...

The problem is that not everyone has the same ribbon mics, not everyone likes the same sound from any given instrument, and (hard as it is to believe), we don't even all use the same mics on the same sources. For example, I've used R84's R121's, and RCA 74B's, 77dx's and 77b's on upright bass. Not all of them worked well on any given bass, but all have worked great on at least one.

I've used the same mics on combo amps, guitar cabinets, dobros, voices, archtop acoustic guitars, saxes (soprano, alto, tenor and bari), trumpets, trombones, tuba, leslie cabinets, and accordion. Sometimes they were great, sometimes not.

How's that for 'definitive'?

But to aim a little closer to your original question, the last few times I recorded a Fender Deluxe, I used a combination of mics - once an R84 and a 421, the other time an R84 and a 74B. Both times, I ended up using only the R84 in the mix. And the last time I recorded a Mesa 2x12 cab, I had the 74B on the bottom speaker and an R84 on the top. I only used the R84 in the end there, as well.

I've got several different ribbon mics, and I do frequently use them on guitar amps, although it's more frequently on overdubs and less frequently on basic rhythm section parts. Why? Well, a small part of that is that they're less rugged and more expensive, and I don't want tons of things going on "around them", and frequently it's the overdubs that are going to be featured parts, and I like having some different sounds / tonalities between various different guitar parts. Using different mics can definitely help with that.

On guitar amps (as well as several other sources), my favorite ribbon in my mic locker is probably the Beyer M160. They're not cheap (around $600 "street" IIRC), but compared to the price of a Royer, they're pretty inexpensive. Not to knock Royer ribbons though - even though I don't have any, they're very good mics and well deserving of their reputation. But the Beyer gets some pretty cool recordings through it, and offers a very useful sound even if you have a ton of mics in the locker. I hear rumors that Eddie Kramer used them on recordings of some semi-obscure guitarist named Jimi... ;)

One other fairly obscure mic that I really like a lot is the Shure 315. It's a old 60's era ribbon I have, and it's my "go to" harp amp mic.

Other than at trade shows, I have not heard a lot of the current generation, super inexpensive ribbons from China... I would like to though. I'm always interested in mics, and occasionally you'll run into something that is inexpensive AND actually sounds good. ;):D

Layering ribbons with other mics on the same rig? Sure... I've done my share of that. I have run a ribbon, a small diaphragm dynamic (both on the front), with a LD dynamic on the back with the phase button on the console engaged (open back cabinet, natch ;) ), along with a condenser or two out further for some "room" tone - all on on guitar part, with each being printed to a seperate track. And we won't get into the multi-amp, multi-mic rigs I've used for a single part a time or three... ;)

I guess that kind of goes contrary to my "Do we have too many tracks?" (November 2005 editorial) thread, huh? :D

But that's the exception, rather than the rule. :) For me, it's normally only one or two mics (a close in ribbon or dynamic along with a distant placed condenser for the room tone) per guitar part.

• Members

interesting replies guys, thanks

I am looking to find out more information about various types of mics, the differences between them and ways of using them effectively.

Ribbon mics were a type I didn't know anything about, but I guess I could do with more information about all types really!

Are there any good websites for a novice to check out regarding mics & techniques?

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

I am looking to find out more information about various types of mics, the differences between them and ways of using them effectively.

It ain't that easy.

What's the difference in tone between a Les Paul "Standard" and a Les Paul "Deluxe"? There is a definite difference, and if you've experienced the difference you know what it is... but how do you put that into words? What is the difference between 2 colors on a strip of paint chips? You can see the difference, you can understand the difference... but now try to describe the difference to me in words and you're screwed.

There are differences... you use those differences as different textures, different colors, differences that will support the musical statement in the presentation of the music... how you achieve that support is a subjective matter that you as the musician/engineer/producer/whatever have to define for your own bad self... ain't none of us can climb inside your head and hear what you hear.

Sorry... wish I had a more definitive response for you... but it ain't possible.

Originally posted by Big Hair

well basically I am looking at finding out more info about all types of mics - I'm not sure of the differences between condensors/dynamics/ribbon/tube etc etc I thought it'd be good to start at Ribbon mics
:)

Whew, okay, we can get into the design / operating principle thing if that's what you'd like to learn. It might get a bit technical... but if that's what you want, I think we can probably oblige. :)

But my response will have to wait until later - I've got to run to a session here pretty soon.

Archived