Hot/Cold?

• Members

I've been using my attic as an acoustic space lately- I set up an old but still good stereo system as the "monitor" and have a pair of condensor mics about 50 ft away and at a 45 degree angle (or whatever- I'm still tweaking). After recording and editing the drums I buss some kick, snare and toms to the stereo and record the room. It really sounds big and loud, it's easy to EQ and smash the heck out of (never could get a good small room out of a digi verb) but my question is: now that it's getting cold outside will the drop in temperature be harmful long-term to the mics if I leave them up permanently? Or maybe I should only take them upstairs when I'm doing this?

• Members

Since you're in Indiana, I am assuming that you are talking about an uninsulated (or poorly insulated) attic. I can't imagine that those sorts of temperatures would be good for a microphone, but certainly an opinion from the experts would be beneficial. I keep all my mics indoors. Better safe than sorry, I figure. Then again, if your stereo is in the attic, maybe the temperature extremes aren't really all that bad?

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

I don't like leaving my equipment in areas where there are extreme temperatures, especially radical swings in temperature. Leave everything else set up, and then just slap up the mics when you're ready to record.

Yeah- I get lazy sometimes and leave 57's out where the guitar cabs are. Yikes...

And yes- this Indiana weather is pretty shifty sometimes. I'll just keep the mics inside until I need to use 'em.

Great link Lee- the guys from Sweden who closes shop for the winter (what's that, like 6 months out of the year?!) had some great advice for keeping mics dry as well.

Good ol' silica bags...

Thanks guys!

• Members

I think its a good idea to store mics in cases with foam cutouts. This doesn't have to be expensive - some plastic boxes (lunch boxes maybe), some 2" foam and a few minutes with a knife can do the business.

I would store the mics in the same room, and the foam is a fairly good insulator as it traps air bubbles. I suppose even bubble wrap would work.

I usually use the standard "if I'm not comfortable in that environment, then my gear isn't going to like it". That holds true for both heat and cold, dry conditions and heavy humidity.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of storing mics "in foam." Eventually the foam starts to break down, and I don't like the idea of particles on my mic diaphragms. Foam cases provide insullation and padding, and they're good for that... I recommend that you stick the mic into a plastic bag with a little Sorb-All silica packet in it (to absorb any residual moisture from screaming into it ;) ) and then stick it into the foam lined case. :)

• Members

leaving mics up all the time is not great for a couple of reasons... i dunno about temperatures, but i guess as long as yo ugive it some type of warm up time...

1. accidents can happen and you never know when someone or something may knock your stand over... or when your attic may spring a leak

2. i wouldn't think that leaving your mics on stands all the time would be great for the stands themsleves... being under tension all the time

3. also theres the argument that dust and other particles can get into the diaphram

4. and most importantly, it only takes a couple minutes

now this being said, i look over and i see a 57 thats been pionting at a snare for a few days now.... but i did take the LDC overheads down when done

Brandon

Archived