Hey Mr. O'Keefe....or others

The biggest degausser I've used was the one that degaussed the ship I was on. We did that once while I was on it, fairly early in my tour but never again. The determined it was no longer needed, degaussing that is.

You were a squid Dak? I didn't know that. :)

IIRC, degaussing ships was intended to reduce the chance of getting hit by a magnetic mine... and it wasn't very effective, so they curtailed the practice. Or is my recollection off?

• Members

Yep, old Squidy Milt here. :D

You recollect correctly. I think we did the degauss in '70, maybe late '69. From what I remember the reason it didn't work all that well was due to the technology of the mines. The degauss worked to a reasonable level but the mines were also set off by wave pressure too & some other means, sound waves maybe. Again, that's my pea brain trying to remember stuff from too long ago.

Toward the end of my tour onboard we had a short timer chief that had supposedly spent his entire carreer on a mine sweep and if I remember correctly that was an all DC boat to help curtain extraneous electrical emissions that may set of mines.

Don't know, could be way off base in my recollection.

Archived